Soft Image Look

I haven’t seen any post on this. How to you turn a detailed sharp looking image into a lighter soft looking image. Particular high contrast, detailed, sharp skin look to a soft gentle light skin look?

Particularly my question is adjust:

1. setting 1 from 0 to -10
  2. setting 2 from 0 to + 10
  3. add filter x adjust to 10
  4. add fuzzy mask x adjust to 10
    etc
    etc

If you are talking skin then the retouch module should help…

If you mean softer images. I think @s7habo made his last video on that topic…

1 Like

The diffuse or sharpen module has the ability to soften images in a controlled fashion. The bloom pre-set could be a good starting point. Exploring the sliders or using the opacity slider associated with masking could tame the effect and adjustments could be localised if required using drawn masks.

I also second the idea of looking at the great videos made by @s7habo. Boris is sure to have some great ideas on the topic.

2 Likes

The guy is amazing! Yes that is what I was looking for and a good tutorial to get familiar with more of the options. I am new to this.

Played around with it a little and it works quite well.

1 Like

I’m glad something was useful…Boris has a great library and you will learn a lot from his video’s if you have the time… enjoy your editing…

1 Like

Might be a tangent but i took a snapshot that shows the slider against selected history. However, now when I disable the snapshot (to perform additional changes) it removes all edits done to the image and shows the original image - that is not what happened in Bori’s video. Selecting any of the history items isn’t changing the edits I made which is a bit odd. Maybe the question is how to use a snapshot, and make it the current version to continue edits.

Not sure of how you “disabled” it but you can simply click on the snapshot to activate it and then click it again to turn it off…

Is that what you did??

It’s not currently possible to do that, but it will be with the next release.

Unless you discovered a new bug, no, it does not do that. Likely, you’ve misunderstood something and clicked the wrong button.

For now, you could do this: the snapshot contains the number of the history entry, so unless the same module was modified at the same point in history as where the snapshot was taken (*), or the history is compressed, one can at least manually return to the version to which the snapshot belongs by clicking the corresponding entry in the history.

(*) I mean a scenario like this: you adjust the module, creating a new history every; you create the snapshot, then modify the settings of the same module. That will not create a new entity, unless some other module is manipulated first.

Duplicates are free (only a small sidecar files and database entry are created), so create one and continue editing the duplicate if you think you may want to roll back subsequent edits.

Once 4.8 arrives, you’ll be able to completely revert to a snapshot.

2 Likes

I am on 4.7 and this is an absolutely brilliant feature for comparing editing options. It is especially useful for stuff like sharpening or denoising where you really need a snapshot to work out which setting is best. Then I can revert my edit to the best snapshot. So easy. Great feature.