Software defaults, looks and starting points - Not software specific discussion

Yes, it is the result of finally realizing that chasing the manufacturer curve is a complete was of time and busy work from developers.

You see the same thing in the Base Curve module: there used to be specific per-camera base curves, but that is busy work, so it went to a single base curve per manufacturer.

But again, 3 seconds worth of clicking to set a preset, and you’re past this.

If you want to open an image and be pleased with what you see, then there are many many better choices than darktable.

2 Likes

Please someone teach me how to multi-quote mulltiple previous comments so I can reply to all of them in one comment.

Not ashamed to ask cos I have no clue how to do this on the pixls forum.

Now down to business. Let’s simplify this debate.

In the good old days, you take your film to the photo shop or post it, and either collect it or get it returned in the post, unless of course you had your own darkroom.

The vast majority of people(including professional photographers) simply focussed on taking a great picture, and providing some minimal development instructions on the submission sheet, to guide the film developers/ or more so to guide anyone who was transforming their negatives into a printed copy.

So we had two phases. Develop negative, then transfer negative to a specific kind of paper.

In many cases, both of these actions needed very little intervention on the part of the photographer, whose contribution was largely limited to a few choices.

1. Taking a good photograph, using all the techniques at their disposal. Nothing has changed in this regard.

2. Choosing the kind of film - which was an important part of the final look.

3. Providing some minimal optional instructions for whomever was developing the negative, and printing. Note these instructions were optional.

How hard was that. You take a picture, whenever you want you send in your film roll, you get a set of negative and optionally a set of prints. Anytime you like you go back and print some more copies. 9 times out of 10 there were absolutely no instructions given to those developing the film or printing the photos on paper. These photo shops used their own “photo” intelligence, in most cases, as required, to resolve so many issues, and only in exceptional cases would they be unable to proceed, and need the person who submittd the film, to have a conversation about how to proceed.

In simple words, for the vast majority of people who took photographs, film development and the reproduction into paper photographs was - whats the word - Automatic.

We focussed on taking the photo, and enjoying the end results.

One day - Polaroid came along and the development and printing of film and paper was taken out of the picture - 5 or 10 minutes after taking a photo - job done, photograph completed.

In terms of what the vast majority of people want, not much has changed. What is different is that we now have the power of software to embelish photos in ways that were not available to most photographers before. But advanced photographers in the days of film dodged and burned, and altered the waist lines of royalty to make them look slimmer. What has changed is that now we have a much greater availability of photo tools to do these advanced things.

All software should meet a need. One challenge with open source software is that without a commercial incentive, it is difficult to quantify exactly the size of the various needs. Sometimes people do not know what they need, because they are far removed from the technology to know what is possible. Or there is an insufficient environment to accurately quantify their pain points, and convey this to those who are able to solve their issues.

How many of them will bother to join a forum like pixls or bother to contribute on github, or realise that they can actually go direct to the developers and tell them what they need. Many genuine needs are lost in the vacuum of absent communication.

We (if I speak for those who bother with the art of photography or image editing) are interested in the results, not in the drudgery that gets us there. We want to see a nice picture a nice image, that represents whatever our camera captured, in the best possible way. How we achieve this is secondary. But there are some important points to note.

You can check this out for yourself - if you take a good look at photographs taken over the last 15 years (digital photographs), while there have been improvements in the optics, lenses, sensors, noise reduction, and ISO, the most remarkable improvements have been in the image processing intelligence, embedded in camera software and software running on personal computers, that has transformed the quality of the image to be far more representative of the image that the camera captured.

Proof - every version of key software such as Adobe Lightroom, Capture One, or any other image processing process such as the filmic module in darktable, and the image processing in Raw therapee is aimed at only one thing - to improve the translation, from 16 bit raw sources to our constrained 8 bit displays, in a way that is most visually imitative and acceptably representative of the real world, in contrast and colour accuracy.

This human intelligence captured in software gets better every day at doing only one thing. improving the conversion from a scene referred to a display referred impression.

I was using Capture One Express for Sony today, and discovered that I could take any raw image from 15 years ago (if Sony were making digital cameras 15 years ago) and give that raw image the look of a modern digital camera, and it would take only 1 second to achieve this - just one second.

And I could take a digital raw image, captured today, and within 1 second in Capture One, I could change the look and feel of that raw file, to look like it was taken on an old digital camera.

I could take an image taken on a Canon digital camera and give it some of the looks of a Sony digital camera, and vice versa, and I could choose which era of digital cameras I wanted to emulate the look of. I could give my image taken on a Sony digital camera the hues of the renowned Fuji camera profiles, or Nikon profiles, and I did not need a LUT to achieve this. All done in a few seconds - non destructively.

I want those who are related to building todays open source photo processing to appreciate - its 2021, life should be getting easier not more difficult.

I spent a whole year trying to make Darktable or Raw Therapee work for me as a photo development alternative to Lightroom or Photoshop. I have really tried to make these tools work, but they do not yet competently address the fundamental task of a photo editing tool, to take the digital negative source - the film spool (or in this case the raw file), and turn into an accurate copy - the negative, i.e a basic simple image that I can see, from which I can then decide how I am going to dodge and burn this to create my final image.

In the days of film, the dodging and burning took place not between the camera film and the production of the negative, but between the negative and the paper version.

In the old days, transforming a film taken by your camera to a film negative that you could reproduce was a non issue - an elementary process, that rarely was discussed, cos it was automatic. Job done , then the photoshop could start the real work of how best to get this onto paper.

Developers of modern digital photo and image processing tools must understand this basic need. Every image processing tool, unless you are developing this for the CIA or some forensic lab, needs a good image development process, that does not require any intervention by the user to get to a visually acceptable representation of the image captured on the camera, as a starting point for any dodging and burning.

As stated above the dodging and burning can only start when a negative that already fully represents what has been captured has already been constructed. We the end users should not be laboured with the job of creating this digital negative, from which we may proceed to continue any optional edits.

If any modern photo processing tool developers think its ok to put out an app that is unable to present a decent image of the raw negative, as a starting point for photo refining, and expects the end user to be actively involved in transforming the raw image to a decent starting point, these kinds of tools are not going to represent any value to end users, or rather will represent value to only a relatively small minority of users, and guess what, the user community will move elsewhere.

Demand and supply. Every tool needs to justify its existence. If it is no longer meeting a demand, its use will dwindle and even its developers will move to other projects. Who wants to develop a dinosaur that noone wants to use, or is only used by fellow dinosoars.

Today, I am fortunate, I have found a workaround that is not perfect but does the job. For open source on Windows, I will “develop” my negative in Filmulator - export this into Darktable as a high quality 48 bit Tiff file (I hope CarVac will let me know how many vald bits of resolution are in this file!!), and with Darktable processing at a minimum of 32 bits internally, I do not expect any loss of detail in the transfer.

But seriously, I should not have to do this in 2021. One of the minor aspects, cos disk storage is relatively inexpensive is that the intermediarry Tiff files are large 96 Megabytes, which if it were all transformed in the same tool, I would never get to see these intermediaries on the disk. But its much better than the struggle I have spend a whole year trying to achieve in Darktable and RawTherapee. For a whole year, I thought it was me, or my camera, or the subjects I was capturing, and in about a week of waking up to get back into Adobe Photoshop Express, Capture One Express for Sony, Sony’s own Imaging Edge app, and now open source Filmulator, I realise it was not me, and sadly it was the open source apps - some of them holding me back. Not a good place of personal discovery. A whole year of being held back because I expected that open source apps would not let me down, I did not invest any effort to look elsewhere.

I will still use darktable, which is a great tool, but no longer as a raw processor, a task which Filmulator fulfills extremely well (subject to a few issues which I have raised with the developer - which could be related to my own ignorance also since its early days for me with the tool).

Filmulator demonstrates that the knowledge is out there, its in plain sight in is code.

As long as mankind believed that the earth was the center of the universe, we made very little progress in cosmology.

In 2021, we are not asking too much to expect that photo processing tools built with open source, provide excellent starting points in image processing.

If this mindset is clearly accepted and I do not see why it is challenged so vehemently, cos it should be a given, then those with the ability to code this requirement, can do their own part.

The processing engines of our smartphones and digital cameras deliver outstanding - out of the box representations of whatever they captured. Why should open source software that has access to far more powerful processors on tablets and personal computers/workstations deliver a subpar image result out of the box. Any argument supporting this subpar expectation cannot be right.

I know it is not going to be easy, but we should not lower the bar for open source software, no we should not. The world runs on open source - Linux, Apache, etc…cos these solutions deliver on expectations. Open source photo apps must deliver the basics, transform a raw file to something I am happy to look at and take it from there. Nothing less.

I am not complaining much any more cos I now have a workaround with Filmulator, and I also have several free closed source alternatives that are also very good at spitting out a high quality tiff version of the raw file for further dodge and burn in darktable, but things could be even better with a mindset change by those responsible for keeping me bound for the last year expecting that open source would always trounce the alternatives (based on a valid expectation that the collective has more intelligence than the closed shop apps)

I do hope and expect that this glaring gap with open source raw processors, is no longer an issue, in a very quick short timeframe. its 2021… about time…

The big issue comes when you take a step back and import a raw image into something like Filmulator and wonder - and in one second you kick your self, why did I waste all this time with the raw development tools in darktable or raw therapee, which are ok, but not as efficient at creating this basic image, as something like Filmulator. Within a minute or two export from Filmulator and you have a polished image to edit further in darktable.

I came to darktable expecting it to be a raw development tool for further editing in GIMP, now I have to use something else - Filmulator to do this, and sadly if I wanted to , could now bypass darktable or Rawtherapee completely and do all the editing in GIMP!!

Darktable and Raw therapee obviously have a much easier workflow than GIMP… so I will still use darktable, just not for raw image development, until things improve…

This, however is the crux. if you bake a cake with instant cake-mix, do you get an edible cake? Sure. You can be happy with that. Is this the nicest cake ever? Most likely not. Can you prepare such a cake without knowledge about the ingredients and the utensils? Most likely not. It’s the same for photography.

It’s fine to be satisfied with the instant-cake, not everybody thinks so. To each their own.

4 Likes

I understand your enthusiasm completely, but please don’t stir up too much trouble by asking people to change their own tools in a way that impacts their workflow.

I’ll put it bluntly: there’s a reason I started a fresh photo editor instead of contributing the Filmulation algorithm to another editor and trying to herd open-source cats into making the user interface and defaults and such the way I wanted: I foresaw disagreements such as these.

(as an aside, to multi-quote, merely put the text edit cursor where you want the quote to go, highlight the text you want to quote, and press the Quote button that appears)

2 Likes

@OK1 To quote somebody, just select any text and press the appearing “Quote” button:

You can repeat this as many times as you like in a post.

Don’t hold your breath. Things are great as they are. It’s called choice. :slight_smile:

To go with your old’days analogy … if you like Fuji negative film then use it and don’t hope that Kodak will create a slide film that does the same.

Or you can sit down and tweak your development machine until it spits out what you really want. It is a hard thing to do that to an E6 machine - been there, done that - but also rewarding when your results in house beat all pro labs in town.

2 Likes

The negative is an interesting conceptual reference. Obvious but I hadn’t though about it!

1 Like

@nosle

Its clear there is no movement here. Its also seems clear at least to me and I think several others that this notion of a good default is a moving target… Your good default is useless to me if that is not the way I see it or work so what bloody “good” is it. In reality as the old saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also the word good implies your value judgement again how can this be applied to an entire user base. So to remove that you could introduce the word universal default that is going to please you in all situations. Again not even jpgs are universal as the camera manufacturers have their own spin and that is often what drives someone to select that camera, ie their subjective bias. You have declared yours and short of that I am not sure where you would go with this other than to say that you think its the best and others should emulate that?? Frankly I have neither the time or interest to continue with this and i will let others continue on with it or give you the last word because I think that is really what you seek…

2 Likes

Enough of talking let the pictures speak for themselves.

This first image is from the usual processing using darktable, with filmic, etc… set white balance, you know it all, the works…

The second was from Filmulator, I hardly had to make any changes.

100% processing in Darktable. having to turn off the luminance protection in filmic and then compensating for the oversaturation by desaturating, but all this has an impact on the final image, slight but different. Whenever you use the levels tool in darktable, it gives you this same denaturing of colours. Just a corrolary - so you can understand my point but I did not use the levels module in dt to develop this 1st image.

The next image below, 100% processed from Filmulator, I hardly had to make any changes besides set white balance, yet in spite of the fact that, as I understand it Filmulator does not do any special sharpening, or include options for sharpening, this image is sharp, and well developed straight out of the box. But takes far less time to achieve, and then I can import this (tiff version thereof, into darktable as my starting point, for further image polishing).

See its all subjective I think the Filmultor image is washed out and lacks detail. You have to save import and yada yada. I am not sure what you chose for filmic setting but the shadows are just a bit too dark otherwise I think it conveys the shadows and the light in a far more accurate way or to my eyes…this just proves the point you are quite please by the second image I would easily correct the small deficit that I see in the first and all without a second file importing etc etc…The sky and clouds also look better in the first one its just the dark contrast and that could be your exposure or other choices you made in filmic…

Thanks - this is so advanced, wow, HTML has really come a long way, that an action such as text selection can trigger an event, and provoke a response in software.

In a million years, I would never have expected that such convenience would be possible in a web page - I am impressed, its just like a proper app on Windows. Mightily impressed.

Thanks, 1st time I have ever come across such a modern approach to replying on a forum, i.e this pretty nifty method of text selection right there on the page.

Of course, the image from Filmulator has had zero editing, none, that is its starting point. with almost no work done.

If you compare it with the starting point of base curve or any other approach in darktable or Rawtherapee its miles ahead. When I have time, I will post a proper apples to apples comparison on this thread, and attach all of the source images, raw, jpgs, and all the associated files from darktable and raw therapee, so anyone can fully appreciate the gaps that we need filled. in these two apps. which are “sold” to us in their product descriptions as the appropriate tools for development of raw source images.

I sit down every year before the summer event season starts and reevaluate my default look and usage of tools because I think last-years default can be improved upon.

Exactly my thoughts. A few nudges in color balance and this is good to go.

1 Like

Fully understand you. Totally. The good thing is that now - I am happy, very happy, in spite of the gaps in the community’s acceptance of these issues, I now have what I have been missing. I go to bed tonight extremely happy. I can now concentrate on proper photography which is finding subjects, and taking photos, knowing that the key constrainsts I previously faced with image editing are over.

Filmulator + Darktable = Open Source Nirvana…

You can still do this, that is what the SooC jpeg is for. Or you can use the software included by your camera manufacturer, which will grant you slightly more latitude in processing, but you’ll still get all those great, baked-in looks with very little fussing.

You and I clearly had different workflows for film. I developed most of my own film and printed most of my own photos when I shot film. This process was very technical, sometimes error prone, and took a hell-of-a long time. I enjoyed the process, but if I had to do that now, I’d probably produce about 3 photos a year, if that.

Yes, again, you can still do that. Jpegs and upload them to a photo printer.

I don’t think we care about what the “vast majority” wants, because the vast majority don’t use our software.

I think it is easier: the developer wants a feature, the developer implements a feature, the developer uses the feature. Others are free to use or not use that feature. Some developers listen to other people’s needs and are kind enough to implement those, and others do not. Open Source is fixing your own problems and sharing those fixes with others.

You certainly don’t speak for me. I care about the process because I want control of my image. When I shot film it was zone system, develop it myself, and print myself. Now I go threw each module by hand, because I want that control. I don’t want to outsource the look of any part of my image to any other person or process.

This sentence literally means nothing. “nice” “good” “best” :frowning:

I fully disagree. “Reality” is a perception, and perception differs from person to person. How much “reality” you want in your photograph is an artistic choice and will likely vary from image to image and photographer to photographer.

It is getting easier, it may not be getting more simple. But it is getting easier.

Specific tooling might be better for you. If all you want to do is dodge and burn, then you’re missing out on a whole bunch of stuff digital imaging can offer you.

Yeah not really. Go do some searching about different kinds of black and white developer. My old favorite was HC-110 using Kodak’s dilution G, yet the guy at my local camera store would yell at me about it every time I went in to buy some.

I want to see what data I have to work with when I open my raw files. Too much “look n feel” stuff distorts my view of that data. I do this for every photo and you can’t do this in a lot of proprietary applications like Lightroom becaue you’re unable to fully turn off a lot of the automatic processing. The people should choose a tool that works well for them. If you don’t like the tool, don’t use it.

FOSS isn’t governed by traditional capitalist thought, so “supply and demand” doesn’t really work here. Justification for FOSS can be as simple as “it was fun” or “I wanted to.”

Only the poor craftsman blames his tools. Plenty of us get great results from these applications. Sorry, but it was, in fact, you who is lacking.

It is not a given at all. It might be for you, because that’s what you want, but your needs aren’t the same as everyone else’s needs, which seems to have caused you a great deal of confusion.

Smart phone photos are tiny and often look like complete shit on anything other than the screen of the phone they were captured on. Camera jpegs are fine if the scene’s dynamic range isn’t too much, otherwise they’re also not great. Smartphones employ all this fancy processing to make up for a lack of sensor size.

Apache and the Linux kernel have much the same philosophy as darktable— in the hands of someone with the right amount of skill, they can do great things. WIthout that skill, things are going to be difficult.

This is a pretty shitty attitude, and is probably the reason why you’ve been met with so much resistance.

10 Likes

Those are my observations (not necessarily correct or “right”) or maybe better yet my perception when i see the image and I don’t think there is a default setting for perception…:slight_smile:

I’ll ignore the disrespect to my person. It was not called for and I think you need to apologise to me.

I have said nothing that in anyway deserved this kind of insult from you. I do not know you and you do not know me, and you have no right to disrespect me, for speaking my mind.

You may obect to what I say, but calling me names like you have done, you cross the line, and I will not accept this. At the very least kindly delete your comment or I will refer it to the administrators asap.

There is still an amazing reluctance to the idea that a viewable/printable image out of the box is a good idea. The argument seems to be that “if it’s not perfect for most of my edits it’s useless and instead the out of box should be completely unusable as a finished image”. It’s just really hard to understand the logic.

By the way I followed some advice about filmic given at various times and did the following

• disabled “compensate camera exposure”
  • set exposure to 0
  • changed filmic preserve chrominance to “no”
  • changed filmic mid tone preservation to 0

This improved the out of box immensely. Does anyone feel that the current defaults are better than the above settings? If so why and what aspects are useful as a starting point.

Theres nothing flat or desaturated about the rendering with the above settings it has a soft but pleasing look to my eyes.

2 Likes

You have more energy that I do. Well done I have come to the conclusion that someone likes the sound of their own voice as my dad would say. Its about perception and choice not about good or bad or lacking…end of list.