[Solved] Another dumb question(s) about dynamic profiles

ART 1.21.2 on Windows 11 (but it’s not specific to this version)

It’s highly likely I’m misunderstanding something, but I don’t know what. The dynamic profiles aren’t applying as it appears to me they should. I have these rules:

What they do, top to bottom:

• Camera default baseline - No conditions in the rule (everything blank / default), just loads a full profile with a set of baseline defaults. For every image.

• Camera default baseline plus <lens name> - Full profiles created by loading the baseline profile, specifying an LCP file and saving it. Other than the LCP file it’s identical to the baseline profile. For images shot through the specified lens only.

• Canon_850D_*_crop - Partial profiles with only the camera name and a custom tag, e.g.: Exif.Canon.AspectInfo=1 4000 4000 1000 0. For images with an in-camera crop.

• Google_Pixel_4a_DNG - Has only the camera (cellphone) name, turns on the embedded flatfield in my cellphone DNGs, IIRC. For Pixel 4a cellphone images only.

It’s just the first four “Camera default baseline” profiles (first two bullets above) I’m trying to get to auto-load properly. The others either work or are irrelevant.

My logic:

• If the image is from any camera, the profile loads the Camera default baseline profile

• If the image is from my camera (Canon 850D) with certain lens, the profile loads the LCP for that lens

Since the rules are evaluated top to bottom I thought the order above should work but it’s very intermittent. It does occasionally work, but usually not which itself is confusing.

Questions / points:

• Is my logic sound?

• Would it be better to make the lens-specific profiles partial instead of full? Would they then just apply only the specific setting(s) and leave the rest as set (rather than resetting everything)? That would also make them more granular and i wouldn’t have to update all of them when a change is made to the baseline.

And…

Not a question but an observation that I don’t understand (bug?). More than once – several times, actually – I’ve seen this happen:

1. I right-click an image in the browser and select Processing profile operations | Clear.

2. The thumbnail is reset to the embedded JPG and the checkbox disappears. I confirm in File Manager the sidecar is gone.

3. After a few seconds (to a minute or so) suddenly the checkbox reappears on the thumbnail and a sidecar (*.arp) appears in File Manager for that image. This is without me doing anything at all. There are no other operations going on with the image and ART hasn’t been touched. Nothing is queued, nothing processing, nothing at all.

What’s causing the sidecar to be created?

Thanks.

Do you have the image open in the editor? If so, art periodically saves the arp to disk automatically. If you don’t want that, you can turn this off via preferences

I can’t state categorically for every instance but most likely, yes it was. That’s probably the cause. So when that happens I’m getting an arp that’s no different from the default untrusted state of the image.

Just curious – I know I can effectively “close” an image by loading another one, but is there a way to force the editor to close an image otherwise? Small point, only a curiosity.

Re: the profile questions… Does the order / logic of what I’ve done make sense? Could it simply be a full vs. partial profile issue?

Thanks.

If you use “multiple editors mode”, each tab has a close button.

Hard to say without a debugging session, but sorry if my first suspect is user error…

I tend to agree! :slight_smile:

I’m answering on my phone right now but I’ll try the partial profile later and see if that helps.

Thanks.

I changed my lens profiles to partial and now they apply on top of the baseline, which is how it should be.

Thanks.