[Solved] Beginner basic question: Why my raw photos turn pink when I open them to edit?

Hello,

I’m a beginner using raw files and RawTherapee.
When I open my photo raw file to edit the image it turns pink. I tried to several files and it happens always. How can I see the real photo colors and start editing without turn everything pink?

Note: I watched several YouTube videos how to use RawTherapee and in none of them happens what is happening to me, neither I found any information about something similar by searching here or on Google. So, I don’t know how to proceed and need help from someone.

More Information: My raw files extension are CR2, I’m using the Window 10 SO and RawTherapee 4.2.1 with all setup default configuration.

Please see a screen capture of what is happening below:

Thanks in advance for your helping.

@Maria RawTherapee 4.2.1 does not support you camera correctly. Here you should find links to newer versions of RawTherapee which support your camera.

2 Likes

@Maria, where did you get the download link from?

It’s not the first time I see a new user downloading this quite old version, maybe the link should be modified to point to more recent versions.

1 Like

The last version from @sguyader was this I believe:

http://filebin.net/3f7nont2si

Most likely you’ll want one of these two versions:

http://filebin.net/3f7nont2si/RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Master_Release_4.2.696.zip
(probably get this one unless you know that you want to try out the new windowing system GTK3).

http://filebin.net/3f7nont2si/RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.787.zip

2 Likes

Thanks @heckflosse :slight_smile:

I got the download from http://rawtherapee.com/downloads.
I must have done some mistake filtering as I thought I had the last version but I didn’t.
Thanks @sguyader !

Slightly silly question but why is there a giant list of dated releases featured so prominently on the downloads page anyways?

1 Like

Thanks so much @patdavid for the direct links.
I’m going to uninstall the old version and install again the new version.

Will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Thanks to all that helped, its working perfectly with the 4.2.626 version… Sorry for my mistake downloading an old version, I’m still trying to realize how I did it, because I made all filters and look the dates (for sure the mistake is between the keyboard and the chair). :blush:

1 Like

Hi @patdavid
Another question if you don’t mind helping: How I mark this topic as answered?

You can edit the title to include something like “[Solved]”, or you can flag the first post and ask a moderator to close the topic.

To edit the title/category:

1 Like

Many thanks for your suggestion. It’s done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point! @Morgan_Hardwood Wouldn’t it be better to at least reduce the number of outdated rt versions on downloads page?

1 Like

Maybe move all but the latest builds to a separate archive page?

I have some OS detect JavaScript I used on www.gimp.org we could recycle for you if you want.

There shouldn’t be a giant list. There should be one build per release (4.0.12, 4.1, 4.2, etc) in two flavors - release and debug - and one development build newer than the latest release, also in two flavors. The reason for providing 4.0.12, 4.1, etc. is because RT is not completely backwards-compatible with old PP3 files. Can it be cleaner than that?

As I said, I’ve seen several times newcomers installing an old release, and reporting problems that were already solved in newer releases.

1. Maybe there should be a statement below older releases, informing new users that these older releases are there for backwards compatibility, and that if they are newcomers (thus with no old pp3) they should install one of the newer releases.
  2. Place =< 4.2.1 releases in an “old releases” subsection
  1. Users don’t read. If they don’t understand something as basic as getting the highest number, adding more text to the screen won’t help. And I certainly won’t be the one to spend my time adding comments to old builds. In my experience users use one of two versions: the latest they can get, or the latest stable they can get. I haven’t seen a situation happen where if there is a 4.2.1, 4.2.234 and 4.2.678, someone will get the middle one. They will get 4.2.1 or 4.2.678, and both are valid choices.
  2. There is no “old releases” section. That website is dead and buggy code. I’ve been wanting to make a new one for some time but working three jobs I haven’t found the time. When I get around to making a new one, my idea is to keep it simple and static.
2 Likes

This is what shows on my pc when I use the dropdowns as shown (which would then be the last “stable” release that does not work correctly with CR2. Therein lies the confusion of “stablr release” and the latest development releases.(For a beginner)

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started#Installing_RawTherapee

I see… Maybe the “Type” drop down should be removed, because even the more recent “development” builds are as stable as the “stable” one, in my opinion.