Solved - Can't choose printer profile

Hello, I can’t choose a printer profile in Prefs - Color Management, there’s no file selector box that opens. Am I doing something wrong here? The directory with icc profiles has been set.

Version: 5.8-302-g0d921d366

Edit. Same in ART.

A quick check: under tab Colour Management, have you selected a “directory containing colour profiles”?

Restart after a change.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hello Claes, yes I have selected that directory. That’s what I meant with “The dir with icc profiles has been set”. But nothing to choose from for soft-proofing…

the ICC profile needs to be as output profile. I think :neutral_face:

1 Like

Indeed Gabriele, some progress now! If I open a raw file, go to the Color tab, then Color Management, then set Output profile to my printer profile, then - and only then - this profile shows up in Prefs - Color management.

When opening another raw, I see in Prefs - CM that the last profile is already set.

So this problem is solved, thank you both!

Regards, Paul.

Happy to hear your problem is solved :slight_smile:

But here, if I have an Output device icc profile inside the directory containing color profiles (and it must be that directory, not a subdir inside it), then I am able to select the printer profile straight away, without any need of opening an image. The output icc profile must be in that directory before launching RT.

Hello Xavier, that makes me still wondering why I can’t choose another icc profile in that same directory, eg. “compatibleWithAdobeRGB1998.icc” or “Gray.icc”. Only my own printer profile shows up there…

Hi paulmatth,
for me it is because those profiles are not output profiles
compatibleWithAdobeRGB1998.icc could be an device indipendent profile as the other one

That makes sense Gabriele.

I’m new to color management. I bought a X-Rite hardware device to calibrate my monitor and printer but I’m still struggling to get things right. Will have to do some more testing…

Do you have a spectrometer, right?

Yes, the X-Rite iStudio (a spectrophotometer, to be precise). I am in the process of setting up a fine-art print shop, so reproducing the correct colors is crucial. But I’m not there yet (just close :wink: ).

You can get information about an icc profile with exiftool.

To date I’ve only seen 4 types of icc profiles, but there may be more out there:

• input: those are meant to be used with those devices built to capture real subjects and convert them into images (cameras, scanners, …)
  • display: these are the profiles used to show those images in a specific device (usually displays)
  • color space: although I’ve only seen them once, they are meant to be used as working profiles
  • output: these profiles are meant to convert image data into something meaningful for output devices (typically printers)

As stated in Rawpedia, the profiles used for printing must be of type output device, otherwise they won’t show in the preferences dropdown combo box (and as I said, those profiles must be in the folder set in the directory containing color profiles, and not in any of its subfolders)

1 Like

Good, however if it’s as mine it’s is UV cutted and you can’t measure paper with OBA content.
You have to use paper with no OBA contents which are the better and the best for fine-art printing and you can use the best software in Open Source World as Argyll

Cheers

1 Like

@XavAL, thanks for the clarification, I did read Rawpedia but missed the output device point.

@dafrasaga, thanks for your OBA remark. However, the specs of my device say: “UV cut characteristic (Results are independent from brightener effects)”. I’ll test that as well.

And yes, I’m using dispcal and argyll and the X-Rite software. I can assure you there’s no faster way to get completely mad! :wink:

1 Like

Hence , no problem if you use OBA free papers. :slightly_smiling_face:

As far as I understand it, if the results are independent of brighteners, it should work with OBA-treated papers as well. Or do I miss something?

I think it is not possible with open source soft

From Argyll in the section about OBA compensation is stated:

The FWA compensation function in Argyll improve on this simple model of spectral reflection by taking into account the action of FWA. To do this, it needs to measure the amount and nature of the FWA in the media, and then have enough information about the viewing environment to model how that FWA will behave.

To be able to measure the level of FWA in the media, the instrument needs to be able to “see” the FWA in action, so the instrument needs to be illuminating the samples with some level of U.V. Typically all instruments do this, unless they have been fitted with a filter that filters out any U.V. illumination (so called “UV cut” instruments), or use an illumination source such as a “white” LED that doesn’t emit any U.V.
Such UV excluded instruments are not suitable for use with FWA compensation.

I don’t know how Xrite soft behaves…but physics is physics :neutral_face:

Ciao Gabriele,

I already said that I’m on a steep learning curve at the moment, regarding color management and profiling and all that. I use several softwares, including the one from X-Rite and I read and I read…

The site Northlight Images has a lot of information about large format printing, including an article about the iStudio. This is their conclusion about printer profiling:

Colour profiles worked well and didn’t show any problems arising from the spectrophotometer being equivalent to the old UV Cut versions of the i1Pro. Not having UV light in the light source is one approach for handling OBA issues in papers.

Source:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/i1studio-calibration-profiling-review/#printer_profile

I’ll get some OBA-heavy paper and give it a profiling try myself. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Regards, Paul.