[Solved] From the lighttable, how can I create a shortcut to start tagging

Hi,

New to DT, sorry if this is a duplicate. I want to speed up the tagging of my pictures by minimizing mouse clicking. My idea was to go into culling mode and create a shortcut that brings me to the tagging widget, let’s me start typing the tag and either select an existing tag or create a new one. It could look like: navigating the culling layout (set at 1 picture width) with the arrows, once I land on a picture I want to tag I could press “t” and that would make the text field of the tagging widget active and I could type my tag, press enter (or another key) to attach, press “l” to bring the focus back to the light table, and press right arrow for the next picture, repeat. In short, I want to cycle through my pictures and quickly add tags using the keyboard only.

So far, there are two hurdles I wasn’t able to solve to get this “system” going:

1. I wasn’t able to find a way to set a shortcut to change the “focus” to the tag text field.
  2. The picture showed in the fixed culling layout with one picture is not automatically selected, I need to press the space bar to select. This adds some friction, but is not crucial.

Any help/tips on how to implement this workflow would be very welcome. I might be completely misusing the tools at disposal and missing the obvious: feel free to educate me on how best to use darktable.

Cmd+t… make sure tags are not in tree view. Sorry about overlooking this!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)