[Solved] Mask multiplication (if I name it correctly)

Yesterday I bumped against a thing I couldn’t implement in dt, namely create a mask opacity gradient within a painted area. I can either add or substract the masks, but not multiply them. Yes, probably that only makes sense with a gradient, but having this feature (or generally, more flexible mask management) would probably add up to dt’s flexibility. I’m also thinking about managing the way it adds up to the mask individually for every figure. Does it make sense for someone else? Currently using v2.6.2.

Closest thing I could get was a combined mask…if you get a parametric mask to have the gradient in opacity that you want then you can draw a shape over that and it will restrict the variable opacity area to within the drawn shape bit its no a true gradient only what could be produced from hue, sat, lightness via the parametric sliders…How would you be using this type of mask??

Yeah, I’m aware of that (and use it) but it’s not what I needed this time. I wanted a drawn mask with gradient in its opacity…

Can you get the gradient you need with a drawn gradient mask?? If so you can use the mask manager…group 2 drawn masks…your shape and the gradient…right click on the shape mask object in the mask
manager and select intersection as the mode …the trick will be to adjust your gradient from 100% to whatever by shift scrolling so lest say you make the gradient about an inch wide for argument sake…so it will go from 100% to 0 across the space of that inch
and then just position it wrt the object so that the portion of the gradient you want is under the drawn object….so the mask in your object will go from 100 – 0 or you could go 100 to 50% of the gradient by shifting the position and you could adjust the angel
by pivoting the gradient mask…with intersection mode only the area inside the drawn object is masked….maybe this would work for you??

Oh! Thanks! It’s a little bit overcomplicated, for I have to choose the created group in a module as a mask, after that trick works. So just the same, it takes some fiddling in two different places, but it’s achievable. Will mark it solved then.

Glad you could make it work for you……