[SOLVED] Output and input profile locations

When I move my mouse over the default input or output color profile, DT shows two possible locations of the ICC profiles. But I cannot find them on my computer. Last two maps in the path’s are /color/in and /color/out, but these maps do not exist. I already checked ‘show hidden files’ on my computer. I use Darktable 4.2-OM-1 on a windows10 computer.

Jan.

I think you have to create these folders, and place any profiles you want in them. I stand to be corrected! I’m not sure how it works with the defaults though…

Thank you Kofa, but this is exactly where I have been looking. My path stops at > darktable. So no folder named color. The only folder in that darktable folder is named lua and besides that there are only files. See attached file.

Jan
folder

As @123sg correctly stated: You have to create the folders yourself.

1 Like

Thanks, I made the folders and it works well. I can still see the defaults.

1 Like

What files did you put in color\in and color\out?

I put Prophoto in it.

As an .icc or .icm file? For me, it works both on Windows and Linux.
I’ve added all of Elle’s profiles, as well as the first Prophoto profile I found online (ProPhoto.icm from https://www.bildplus.ch/downloads/) to color\in and color\out, and they are available as input, output and working profiles.
Can you post a screenshot of the file browser, and also the darktable module where you want to use it, showing the available list?

(ProPhoto is not shown in the screenshots, as it’s waaaay below. BTW, Elle’s LargeRGB is an open-source version of ProPhoto, see Elle Stone's well-behaved ICC profiles and code)

input color profile module:

output color profile module:

Here’s an example

OK, so you have ProPhoto available as the output profile. I’m sorry, but I thought the problem was you wanted to have that, and it did not work. It seems to work now. Could you please describe, in detail, what your problem is?

The two locations are:

The first is your user directory. Any user, without administrator privileges, can place profiles in their own custom folder. Also, this data (any data under C:\users\your-user\appdata\local\darktable) survives when you reinstall darktable (which is also the reason why people try to solve problems in vain by reinstalling the software).
The 2nd is the installation directory, and stores the data that is part of the darktable distribution. Modifying it requires administrative privileges; data placed there probably won’t survive a reinstallation. (I say ‘probably’, as I’m not really familiar with the Windows installer.) One should not modify, add, delete files there.

There’s no problem any more. The problem was, that there were no /color/in and /color/out folders and I did not know that I should make these myself. I saw the path’s you have circled yellow, but the folders did not exist.

Jan

Glad it worked. Next time, please make it clear the problem has been solved. Ideally, add a comment saying so, and edit the title of the topic to include [SOLVED].

I thought you had no problem creating the folders, but you can only see the defaults. My bad, but if you had marked the thread as solved, it would have been easier to see.

Thanks, I will so so in the future.

1 Like