Someone help me to improve this image

I took this photo with a Panasonic DC-FZ82. I have always used camera raw and lightroom and now I want to use rawtherapee as well. Unfortunately I know very little English and the videos that would be very useful are all in English. I have processed the image with lightroon but I don’t like it. I have tried with RT and Art, but I can’t get what I want. Meanwhile, the sky on the left has a magenta color that I do not know how to correct locally. I try to post the photo with lightroom and art and then the original

P1010056.RW2 (20.9 MB)

P1010056.jpg.out.arp (10.5 KB)

1 Like
  1. please assign a license to the photo (see the help in the play raw category)
  2. maybe move it to that category.

If he tells me what to do, I’ll do it right away. I am new to this forum and although I have been a photographer for 50 years, I am not familiar with the procedures for publishing posts.

Hi,

can you be a bit more specific? what are you trying to achieve?

Thanks!

I want to get the clear background that is legible. The photo was taken specifically to understand what I have to do in such a case. I know what camera raw can give them in this case, so I wanted to evaluate if I could get a similar result, but not knowing all the possibilities of Rt or Art well, I can’t get what I want.

@xdodo
Hi,
Possibly what you are looking for is to illuminate the staircase.
For this you can use the gradient filter module in RT (in ART it should also be called similar) with these values.
You can try intensity from -2 to -2.20:
Gradient filter
Greetings.

Hi! It’s not too bad, just state here in a post that you are licensing the image as <LICENSE NAME>.
We like to use “Creative Commons, By Attribution, Share Alike” (Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0) if you are ok with it - or take a look at the other licenses.

Thanks for the explanation. I see nothing wrong with your art version to be honest, but I’ll see if I can come up with an alternative one…

sorry for the delay. would something like this work?

7 Likes

@agriggio

Can you post the sidecar? I’m curious to see how you handled the blown sky and its discolouration.

BTW: Nice edit!

you can use the jpg as sidecar in ART (sorry, I should have specified that). For the sky, I cheated by painting it… there’s not much else you can do I think

Thanks!

Yeah, I ran into that trying to somehow make the sky somewhat presentable, hence the interest in your edit :grin:

Here’s a different edit (much quicker), but with similar ideas:

Those extended masking options in ART are nice (especially the Brush Mask), compared to RT that is. RT can do masking, but these seem easier to use.

P1010056
Uploading: P1010056.jpg… MANUAL EYE ADJUSTMENT
P1010056-1
FILM SIMULATION CODAC PORT 160

P1010056-2.jpg.out.pp3 (14.7 KB)

P1010056-3.jpg.out.pp3 (17.3 KB)

P1010056_v1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)
This is what I do. By keep girl subject normal light leave sky to white out. Picture like this, high dynamic range have to choose to keep sky or girl to normal light. Keep both might seem unreal to me.

Ok, thanks for wasting time on my image. This elaboration is definitely the one I like the most. It is very similar to what I got using camera raw in Photoshop. Thanks again. (Forcing the color of the sky is certainly useless and unreal, but mine was a quest to see if it could be achieved.)

Ночная бета-версия сборки в эссо, хо мессо я предустановлен в картеллах профилей, которые хо тровато в прецеденте в рете, даются все фото в формате JPEG, да си адаттано и необработанные. sulla foto fachem, la messa a fuoco è andata in secondo piano, così come la cattiva lighting, i rumori sono forti. Портативная программа, которая содержит полную карту после установки. agiunti alcuni nuovi Strumenti. RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2983-g3f58095b6_20210604 — Яндекс.Диск