Sony α7R IV profile file

Hi all. New to RT and was wondering if anyone had a Profile for the Sony α7R IV? The Standard Film Curve works okay and I found a profile developed for the α7 III on the Internet that works maybe a bit better but was hoping to find one really tweaked for the IV. Any luck???

If you can get ahold of the DCP from adobe or another software maker, you can use that profile. They’re not licensed for redistribution, so we don’t share them there, but they’re easily attainable.

I have spectral data for the A7R from the OpenFilmTools project, and I recently posted an ICC profile made from it here:

https://github.com/butcherg/ssf-data/tree/master/Sony/A7R/openfilmtools

Not the MkIV, but I’d be curious to hear how it works for your camera.

1 Like

I made this last year sometime with A7R4 and an X-Rite passport v2019 color checker for use with darktable, but since the new color calibration module came out, I don’t use it anymore. Maybe it is useful to you?
Sony-ILCE-7RM4-5600K.icc (5.4 KB)

I’m not a Sony man, but aren’t the Sony α7R IV and Sony α7RM IV basically the same (at least sensor et al)?

If that is the case: RawTherapee, at least the development version, comes with a SONY ILCE-7RM4.dcp (63.8 KB)

Yes, ILCE-7RM4 is the Sony model designation of their α7R4 camera.

Ah, in that case (thanks, Matt!):

The above posted dcp that comes with RawTherapee isn’t as elaborate as it could be. It has no Tone curve and/or Lut, just a α7R4 specific Base Curve. You can, however, play with the Illuminant.

I do see a significant change when switching from RT’s default Camera standard to Auto-matched camera profile when applying it to a α7R4 RAW.

Thanks all. I finally figured out what to do with the dcp file (only been using RT since yesterday). But when I switch between Camera standard and Auto-matched camera profile, I see hardly any difference. The Auto-matched camera profile does look better though.

It does depend on the image how well the difference can be seen. The SONY ILCE-7RM4.dcp is noticeable richer/warmer, especially in the reds and greens when compared to the camera default setting.

Here are some examples. No editing done at all, just switching from Camera default to Auto-matched camera profile.

camera default

auto matched

camera default

auto matched

And these are screenshots. Converted from png to jpg and downscaled to limit their size…

Thanks Jade_NL. The differences I see appear to be about the same as yours! Maybe I need to work on my subtleties! I loaded another raw image with more reds and the difference is much more noticeable. Also the monitor is an old second hand HP on Windows and the colours are all wrong. I’ll change over to a much newer BenQ monitor on Linux and see what difference that makes.

Hi again. I used the Standard Film Curve - ISO Low and the SONY ILCE-7RM4.dcp file to process this image. Nothing else tweaked. Any good???

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Taking into account that you only applied the standard curve this isn’t bad at all, but…

First of all: I’m not at all a fan of the bundled profiles and never use them. They can serve a purpose, but I like to do my own edits/tweaks.

The Standard Film Curve is exactly that; A fixed curve that doesn’t take anything else into account. The above example works reasonably well with this curve but most often it does not, though.

The Auto-matched Curve is a bit more intelligent and takes the actual RAW into account and tries to create a curve based on that.

Don’t get me started on the Pop profiles. To each their own, I guess…

In general, and after you get to know your way around in RawTherapee, you’ll get better end-results when you dial in the tweaks/edits yourself. As you might have guessed from what I wrote about the bundled profiles: Those need to be tweaked as well in most cases.

BTW: The (tone) curves in the exposure module also influence colour when you use them (these are RGB based tools). Do watch that if you use them. It will easily negate the subtleties that are applied by the camera specific dcp file.

1 Like