Sony A7R4 Pixel Shift ARQ

I just ported ART code to RT and pushed to dev. Many thanks to @agriggio

Warning: Do NOT try to open such files on machines with less than 16 GB Ram…

Here’s an example of memory usage when working with this files. I stressed it by using the before/after mode and using the median of 4 amaze demosaiced 244 MP frames

Blue line at right is 22.3 GB, peak usage was a bit higher.

1 Like

Just saw your message. Also noticed that heckflosse ported the ART code. Do you still need ARQ files? If so, I’d be happy to send. They are of course ridiculously large, particularly the 16 frame ARQ. If you need them, I could upload to Google Drive. Let me know.
Best

Klaus

yes please. in particular, I’d like to see the 16 ARWs before they are combined into an ARQ. thanks!

Will do. I’ll upload the 16 separate ARWs as well as a 16xARQ and 4xARQ to Google Drive.

I’ve been working with an image of trees that has a small amount of motion in some of the leaves and branches, which results in some local artifacts when processed with either the Sony Imaging Edge software or PixelShift2DNG. The latter software outputs a DNG file which can be further processed in Lightroom or Photoshop. The DNG, however, doesn’t contain the separate images as do the ARQ files, so there would be no ability to correct the motion artifacts in RT. I am hopeful that RT will be able to correct those motion artifacts utilizing ARQ files. If so, it would make pixel shift technology much more workable outside the studio.

I should have those files uploaded later tonight. I’ll send the link when they’re ready.

1 Like

The Sony A7R4 pixel shift files are at the link below. I included the 16 original ARW files, 4 and 16 frame ARQ files, and also a stacked 16 frame DNG file from PixelShift2DNG software. I included the latter because RawTherapee can’t open the DNG file, though it is easily read in Lightroom and Photoshop. The DNG file doesn’t contain the separate image layers, as do ARQ files, so no motion correction would be possible. Other RT processing for RAW files would, however, still be useful.

With regard to RT pixel shift processing, the ideal situation would be if RT could stack and compile the images directly, without the intermediary step of creating ARQs with Sony software. But even if that’s not possible, being able to mitigate motion artifacts inherent in ARQ files would be a big help.

Thanks for working on this.

-Klaus

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1G-rtAjGfzkuYu_0q3gTXMmxmiyOFh_ma?usp=sharing

For 4-shot ARQ files it will work, but most likely not for 16-shot ARQ files, because these contain 4 precombined Bayer frames, each of them already having motion artifacts.
Example using frame 1 of a 16-shot ARQ:

thanks for the link! I’ll download ASAP. RT can’t combine the frames, but you can use this:

https://github.com/agriggio/make_arq

it doesn’t yet support the A7R4, but hopefully that will change soon enough… :slight_smile:

Motion mask of your 4-shot ARQ

Without motion correction

With motion correction

3 Likes

I added the possibilty to use RCD+VNG4 instead of AMAZE+VNG4 for the motion parts of pixelshift files, because RCD works better with Capture Sharpening than Amaze.
Left Amaze+VNG4, right RCD+VNG4 for the motion parts:

I’ve just added support for the A7RIV to make_arq (you can generate both 4-frame and 16-frame files)

2 Likes

These look amazing. Thanks so much for your work. When and where might these improvements to RT be available?

Great to hear A7R4 is now supported. Same question as my last post: When and where will these updates to RT be available?

It’s already available in nightly builds and will be available in RT 5.8 release

After some searching, it is unclear where nightly builds are available. Can these builds be installed and run on a Windows machine and where might I find a link to the builds which include the A7R4 pixel shift updates?
Thanks

Automated builds are here : Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Really?

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Download

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. It could have been discovered googling “rawtherapee nightly builds” leading to Download RawTherapee development builds. However starting from https://rawtherapee.com/ when looking for builds/installers/… I’d need to scroll down to the “Documentation” button (should probably be in the header too) and then look at the sub-topics of the first chapter “General Information” to find the link to http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Download - that’s not particularly intuitive. information would be more discoverable on RawTherapee - Downloads. I’ll propose an MR for the downloads parts (Add info about nightly and building from source (!1) · Merge requests · Pat David / rawtherapee-web · GitLab).

1 Like

Except they are not available from Download - RawPedia. to suggest taht they are and the the questioner was somehow missing something by having difficulty finding what he wanted is, to say the least, unhelpful.

They very much are available from there - check again.