Sony NEX-5R - Settings help

Hi… is someone using the NEX-5R ?
I don’t know about all the settings :confused:

I have my Cam on full auto :frowning:

What are you trying to achieve? Are you shooting jpeg or raw?

RAW, i’m shoting from close distance and i use 16mm - 50mm (Mostly 16mm.

If you just want a list of descriptions of all your camera’s settings, you should read the manual. If you’re trying to achieve something specific, you’ll need to provide more detail about what you’d like to do.

I don’t want o be rude i just want to say something.
I’m a expert with Computers, if you go to a computer shop all you say is “I want a new PC for max 1000$” but in reality a “Computer” is not this “Computer” what you use right now. There are “Personal Computers (That what you use now)”, Servers, Workstations and “Gaming PCs”.

So when someone new comes here:

1. He doesn’t know what to say if you want more detail, ask me i will answer.
  2. All i know is i want to make pictures of my PC parts.
  3. Don’t expect a person that had his first fight with a “RAW” file since he was born. (My fight was 2 days ago). Never made a RAW picture till yesterday and didn’t even knew how to open that file.

So please, make my life easier, i’m confused enough with RAW and all that specifications that kick my butt.

I did this and looks like crap…

I have and like the David Busch book for my Nikon D7000. It’s much more helpful than the official manual. Here’s the one for your camera:

Since that has a kind of sepia look to it, and you don’t like it, was that an in-camera sepia setting or something you did in a raw processing program? Is that the camera JPEG you posted or something you created through post processing? If you’ve processed the image, with what program(s)?

Of course, none of the above is related to your original question, which related to camera settings as opposed to raw processing. But you posted a JPEG you didn’t like, so inquiring minds want to know…

I edited it in RawTherapee.

Product photography is a lot of lighting, something you’d do before you post process. Even if you just have a desk lamp, start expirmenting to find a pleasing angle with the light.

Then in RawTherapee, set the white balance, adjust the levels and/or curves, and crop.

The problem is that we don’t have any idea of what type of photographs you are trying to achieve. This is one key component for us to be able to provide you with good advice or suggestions. In short, we can only help if we know at least:

1. What type of photographs you are trying to make.
  2. Perhaps an example of what you are trying to achieve. A sample photo that you would demonstrate what you want to accomplish would do wonders for your responses.
  3. (optional) what you’ve already tried.

I would add what type of resources/equipment you have to this list, but you’ve already told us. Please realize, that before you answered in frustration, you had only told us:

and

Which isn’t exactly much to go on. Can you see that?

We don’t know if you’re shooting nightscapes, people, street, product, portraits, animals, underwater, inside a volcano, flying, space, or anteater photographs. Each of those will require a different approach most likely to get results, and will require an idea of what type of results you may be thinking of to get the best responses.

This is a good start for a piece of information. Do you have some example photographs that might demonstrate to us what type of photos you want to take of PC parts? Are you trying to shoot product/catalog style photos? Artsy photos of your rig? A demonstration photo for something else?

We have many folks here who are awesome and spending their time voluntarily to help people with photography and processing. Please help them to help you in the best way they can by providing as much information as you can, and being patient if they ask many questions. I assure you they do it to make sure they are able to help you as well as they can.

So, can you include an example that might demonstrate how you wanted your photo of your headphones to come out?

[edit] - also, nice AKG’s. I’m a Grado man myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. Ask aunt google for ‘Light Science and Magic’ :wink:
Then read it!

I’m making an APP for Android and IOS, i have 88 pictures that i need to “edit” to make them look good. I need sharp photos with much detail. Some contrast is never bad.

They fit most my idea.

1 Like

The quality of those sample photos you linked comes from lighting, not editing.

1 Like

I will ask like this… what gear do i need for a PIC like this? But pls not going to crazy… :smiley:

A couple of lights and diffusers will get you a long way.

First of all, I think you should spend some time reading Cambridge in Colour, which is a pretty nice introduction to the technical aspects of photography. You need to understand the basics: the exposure triangle, focal length, depth of field, white balance, etc and the relevant sections on macro photography and lighting. It’s an excellent resource.

For product photography, you will need some lighting kits and most importantly, a tripod. You do not want to shoot these computer parts handheld, because it can make getting critical focus tricky and the handshake will force you to use a faster shutter speed (which translates to higher ISO and more noise). Those images you linked above looks professional because they are lighted very carefully, and It is very difficult and time-consuming to fix or emulate those in post-processing.

Your 16-50mm kit lens has a reproduction ratio of 1:3.8 (~0.26x) in the 50mm setting. This means that the smallest subject you can fill the frame and still focus on it is 3.8 times the sensor size, or about 9x6 cm in area. This should be enough for shooting bigger computer parts (motherboards, graphics cards, 3.5" HDDs, etc). For smaller parts, you will either need a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes for your kit lens.

2 Likes