Spider technology

For spider admirers/haters/nerds:

Mixed feelings on this one… What say you?

1 Like

Mixed? How?

Well, what I mean is… it’s mechanically / scientifically interesting and as a lab venture a few spiders aren’t the end of the world. Now, if someone decides they’ll eradicate every “X” spider they find, on a colossal scale, just to put the corpses to work for their profit, then yeah that’s a totally different ballgame. But as research, no problem really.

And I neither love nor hate spiders. They just are. As long as they’re not crawling on my skin, at least. :slight_smile: But I have to admit that despite being a generally curious individual I never asked why they curl up when dead. At least I learned that!!

Thanks for the link.

More about spiders: Regularly occurring bouts of retinal movements suggest an REM sleep–like state in jumping spiders: https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2204754119

When you think about it, it’s really amazing that basically all animals need to sleep. It’s almost like animal-sentient life without sleep is not possible for some fundamental reason.

I saw “spider” and all I could think was this terrific sf book I’ve read recently:

No spoiler here for those of you who like science fiction and want to read the book, all i will say is that it really changed my perception of spiders, now I kinda like them

:spider: :spider: :heart_eyes:

1 Like