Splitline comparison of JPEG and RAW?

I know in darkroom you can do a snapshot of the initial RAW file and use the splitline to compare the two, but I’m wondering if this is possible with the SOOC JPEG in instances where I’m shooting RAW+JPEG. As someone who is still trying to learn RAW postprocessing, the ability to compare my edits to the SOOC JPEG would be valuable.

Can darktable do this? Or, is there another software that can?

If darktable can’t do this currently, would it be a reasonable feature request as a lighttable module?

I don’t think that is possible in darktable at the moment.

Closest you can come that I can think of is the culling mode.

Select the 2 images and activate culling mode. You now have them side by side. You can zoom in/out (ctrl+mouse scroll) and move around (mouse click+hold and move).

1 Like

Thanks, I think you’re right. I did find the culling mode and it does work well.

Seems to work if you just select your snapshot from the reference image then you can advance to any image with the spacebar or backspace and the split comparison seems available…I think it likely stays until you reset snapshots…

2 Likes

It’s possible, but probably not really convenient. You can import both the JPG and the raw into darktable. First open the SooC JPG, create a snapshot. Advance to the raw (space bar). The snapshot is not reset; you can now do the split-line comparison.

Oh that’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I don’t intend on doing this often, just until I get a feel for things and can verify that I’m making the improvements that I think I am.

What you will find likely is that you want to zoom in and the snapshot is fixed to the two don’t sync if you zoom the current image so they don’t line up I guess is would be nice if there was that sort of option…