St Giles Cathedral, Stained Glass, Tricky Light

That’s probably why mine’s more garish. I did use a mask with color calibration to remove some blue but otherwise just used the built in masks with color balance.

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (13.9 KB)

1 Like

Although you called the yellow cast a problem, I didn’t mess with the colors. I basically never do since as shot is always the most accurate for my cam and I can not judge others, so I don’t even try.

I also prefer letting highlights be highlights.

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (28.5 KB)

6 Likes

A really tricky one, because there are many directions to go.

I didn’t keep the colours from the right-side windows, but instead emphasized the flags (dodging, increasing the saturation and a bit of a hue shift) a bit more in an attempt to guide the viewer’s eye forward along the flags towards the end window. There is a lot going on in the image so that I feel like a decision needs to be made what to show.

Darktable sidecar: 20230317_0001.RW2.xmp (108.6 KB)

4 Likes

From what I remember, yours and @Terry have the most natural colours in the facing stained glass window. The reds, in particular, aren’t as heavily saturated as my efforts and more detail is retained.

A great, contrasty rendition, without losing shadow details. Congratulations!

1 Like

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (16.1 KB)

2 Likes

I also think that we want to see the flags.
Too bad the stain-glasses are clipped but I know it is very difficult to avoid it in such places.

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (15.4 KB)

3 Likes

This is closer to my first effort, not posted, but again you’ve done way better than me with the clipped window. I only realised the huge dynamic range in there when I tried to use the camera as our eyes seamlessly adjust. I should have exposed for the highlights.

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the play :slight_smile:

Here is my experiment, concentraing on one RawTherapee module:
Local adjustments/Log encoding. Very powerful [especially if you have studied Rawpedia]!

Developed in RT5.9-dev

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

My version…

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (16.1 KB)

5 Likes

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (16.7 KB)

2 Likes

This one’s from the movie. Like it a lot. Not afraid to lose details in the shadows in exchange for drama. Sometimes I think I avoid losing detail just because the camera has managed to capture it, rather than because it adds anything to the picture. A smaller dynamic range would force me to choose what to emphasise.

1 Like

That is what I like about the playraw category and why I learn so much from it. But sometimes my edits as I see them on my screen do not translate correctly when posted. I like the way @kofa has applied a similar masking techniques as me but has instead used it with the colour balance module to add colorfullness. Nicely done and why I love that module so much.

I like how you have chosen the flags as the priority in the image. It is very effective and a differnt take on the same scene. Nicely done.

1 Like

My try.

House of the Dragon :wink:

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (21.9 KB)

2 Likes

I have tried to preserve the intimate atmosphere of the interior of the Cathedral, as well as the shades of white of the flags and the colorful stained glass windows. Keeping in mind that the main light comes from the right.

20230316_0083.RW2.xmp (22,0 KB)

Have fun!

5 Likes

Nice. I found keeping the flags white difficult

I think most of you are missing the obvious and it is far too busy with no real subject. I do not get it. So maybe think firstly of cropping.
I believe cropping is the most important first step.
The half window and top of arched door on the left is far too distracting and needs a good crop and also from the top cutting out the ceiling. This brings the flags as the subject with the nice colour reflections on the background wall.
I did this on your photo just with blanking of the things mentioned with holding two sheets of paper against the screen and straight away could see the potential improvement.
You can then concentrate on making the flags pop.
Maybe change perspective when shooting, move around, zoom in and out. Take plenty of shots.