Stag-village bathing-pond in infrared

couple of years ago I removed the IR filter from my old 350D. Since then, I took only a few shots with it - mainly because it is now awkward to use (or others say: “it works just like a normal camera!”): No AF, no AE, no viewfinder.
In the last days I used the very bright sun to take some shots with that camera. Mostly trial & error - as you cannot even see what you are shooting. But it is actually quite fun! Very different to the usual style of photography that I do.

I found that spot very neat:

_MG_9399.CR2 (6.4 MB)
_MG_9399.CR2.xmp (21.2 KB)

It is the “Badeteich Hirschstetten” (which I guess roughly translates to stag-village bathing-pond…) in Vienna.
The lens is a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM (for lens-corrections; the 350D does not write that information in EXIF) and it is a 720nm filter.

Show me your skills with IR images :wink: Have fun!

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).

9 Likes

I really like your image, but I have no idea what to do with one like that.

Thanks :slight_smile: I attached my xmp as well - so you can have a look.

The basic steps are:

• Select “linear Infrared BGR” as input profile. with this one you do not need the channel swap afterwards. I guess you can also use “standard color matrix” and swap the R and B channel manually. (I think using linear infrared BGR has some other advantages as the resulting RGB value is not influenced by the color matrix - as color matrix does not make sense in that case). Some people distribute G to R and B like 50/50. You can also not swap the channels at all and then have blue foliage
  • Then use color calibration to do the whitebalance anywhere you like. You can get very different effects when using sky, clouds, or leafs as reference
  • boost colors in color balance rgb - you really have to go to town with these, as the colors are subtle
  • (because I cannot really get sharp images with that camera, I use “lens deblur: hard” from diffuse and sharpen)

As the result is false-color any way, you can let your artistic self out and do whatever you want :smiley:

1 Like

So anything is allowed. That’s fine :laughing::

_MG_9399.CR2.xmp (26,4 KB)

5 Likes

wow, the water looks awesome!
The style reminds me of something… Some game or movie?

1 Like

RawTherapee-dev with Ilford \Delta100 sim.

_MG_9399.jpg.out.pp3 (14.6 KB)

5 Likes

It has a cyanotype feel to it. My brother used to shoot IR film, and he always printed them on Ilford.

My version.

2 Likes

nice image, thanks for providing it, this was fun :slight_smile:

my over-the-top vkdt version with some custom rgb mapping, starting from swapping red and blue (loved the cotton candy…):

_MG_9399.CR2.cfg (4.2 KB)

7 Likes

Cotton Candy vibes indeed - looks great! It’s interesting, that I cannot get to that level of colors with darktable. So you basically did all that in the colour 01 with the channel mixer and cranking up the saturation to 3? Nice!

With your edit you can start to notice a problem of my setup: you get a red spot in the middle of the photo. I believe that is due to reflections between the front lens and the filter. I had some lenses where this spot was extremely visible (for example the Canon EF-S 18-55mm)

1 Like

right. noticed that spot too… at some point i tried to not push everything so far to show it but hey…

i have another edit with one more colour spot to make the sky blue appear more neutral, but i think i could move this back and forth forever without real preference.

After detonation, fallout…

ART 1.22.1

_MG_9399.CR2.arp (36.5 KB)

3 Likes

Plain old B/W interpretation

_MG_9399.CR2.xmp (14.5 KB)

2 Likes

Here y’are, a couple of full-spectrum …

Lumix DMC-G1

Sigma SD1Merrill

2 Likes

darktable 4.8.1

_MG_9399.CR2.xmp (17.0 KB)

1 Like

I decided to see what I could do using only two tools in RawTherapee: Exposure Compensation slider and Film Negative tool.

_MG_9399-2.jpg.out.pp3 (14.9 KB)

1 Like