Stairs in Delft (B&W).

Sidecar: city.surprise.pp3 (14.8 KB)
RAW: city.surprise.nef (30.4 MB)

Ran into this scene yesterday morning and immediately knew this would be a nice exercise in B&W editing.

So; I would very much like to see other B&W edits, but this being Play Raw you’re, of course, free to do as you please.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

3 Likes

Hello, funny exercise, here’s mine, processed in Art.

city.surprise.jpg.out.arp (10.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting, I’m a BW photos fan
darktable 3.6.0

city.surprise.nef.xmp (14.5 KB)

2 Likes

Lovely capture!
In BW version, I did nothing special. Just edited the pic in color then use monochrome module to convert to BW and crop to square.

city.surprise_01.nef.xmp (9.6 KB)

city.surprise.nef.xmp (8.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting, I’m into my B&W at the moment.
Done in DT 3.6

city.surprise.nef.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

@Jade_NL Good subject. If only we could see a bit more… I am also thinking this would be a nightmare for the less able bodied. :scream:

LOL

I tend to, literally, step back when shooting the stuff I normally do. However, in my still short foray into urban photography I noticed that I needed to get in more closely to what I’m about to shoot. Tightly framing that what caught your eye and removing all the other stuff, which tends to be too cluttered and often ugly in a city environment.

You are right in the sense that this image does miss something that makes it stand out. The B&W part made it worthwhile, for me at least, to work on it and post it as a possible exercise.

Yes, but not really.

The foot and bike path I’m standing on is a safe way to cross circumvent the very wide and busy road that spans a wide canal and is one of the main arteries into down-town Delft. The stairs, although still used and a nice shortcut, are a remnant of this +/- 100 year old bridge.

Disabled people would not need to use it, there are much easier and safer ways to cross the canal.

My comments were meant to stimulate conversation on the photo. Now, I know more of the context. :wink: Speaking from a Play Raw participant’s perspective, a looser frame would allow more creative freedom for a variety of crops.

a try to use color balance rgb w. parametric mask just for green … :thinking:

city.surprise.nef.xmp (18.0 KB)

1 Like

Stairs in Delft (B&W) city surprise.nef.xmp (12.1 KB)

1 Like

Here are 2 versions of my interpretation

city.surprise.nef.xmp (14.9 KB)

city.surprise_01.nef.xmp (16.4 KB)

darktable 3.7

Thanks for sharing, it’s a nice exercise!