Starnet++ star removal smears most of the comets

Hello again.
After I perform a “Global Star Registration” on the initial sequence, and stack it,then perform the Starnet star removal, (linear image-Pre stretch linear image) the star mask looks fine but most of the individual comets in the “Starless” sequence are smeared. Some (just a few) of the comets look fine but most look like Starnet (possibly) t as stars and tries to remove them. I am just guessing at this point.
What could be causing the individual comet smears, in the starless sequence?
Fivel

Siril version 1.21 on Mac Catalina.
After I perform a “Global Star Registration” on the initial sequence, and stack it, then perform the Starnet star removal, (linear image-Pre stretch linear image) the star mask looks fine but most of the individual comets in the “Starless” sequence are smeared. Some (just a few) of the comets look fine, but most look like Starnet (possibly) thinks they are stars and tries to remove them. I am just guessing at this point.
What could be causing the individual comet smears, in the starless sequence?
Fivel

Hello, you may try running starnet on an image on which that happens to see if it’s starnet’s fault or not, but I guess it is, if you don’t have the problem without removing stars.

Hello vinvin, thank you for your response.
I did as you suggested and used the stand alone (SA) Starnet version on one comet image.
It looked good after star removal. I don’t know if the requirement, by the SA version, to use tiff files makes any difference.
The same comet image, with the Siril use of Starnet (fits file), had no comet nucleus and the rest was smeared.

Do you check the stretch button if the image is linear?
Siril just call starnet, there’s no difference at all.

Yes I do select the stretch for the linear image.
Should i try it differently, by doing a Histogram Auto stretch, and not selecting the stretch in Starnet?

It would be exactly the same. That’s what the button does.

I thank you and vinvin for your feedback.
Unfortunately, I am at a loss as to what steps to take next, to isolate the source of the issue.
I have a possibly related question.
Is ther a way to prevent the comet(s) from being selected, during a Global Star Alignment? I did notice that the comet was selected along with the stars.
Fivel

It doesn’t matter if it’s selected. The transformation is calculated globally, with the contribution of the stars being much greater.