Still beautiful after more than five decades.

Panasonic DC-LX100M2

Came across this parked Ford Mustang 289 from 1967 a few days ago. Its age did show and it wasn’t meant to be a show-car by the looks of it. Still a beauty though…

I have spend a lot of time getting rid of the visible blemishes, dents, rust spots and paint damage. And I hope it doesn’t show. My retouching that is… All in all quite a learning experience!

There is one thing that I would like opinions about: How to approach the background.

I decided to whiten it to keep the focus on the car. Tried removing the tree but that ended up being an ugly mess, had a go at replacing it altogether, but that introduced other problems (probably a lack of GIMP knowledge on my side).

EDIT: Forgot to mention: All pointers are welcome and appreciated!

9 Likes

A circular polarizer when capturing will take the glare off the chrome.

Looks great though, love the crop and that classic blue mustang color.

I indeed have to buy one of those for this always-carry-around compact.

Are you sure? Isn’t a polarizer only able to remove reflections from non metallic surfaces?

Yes, they work on water, glass etc. but not on metallic surfaces.

@heckflosse / @Thomas_Do

You guys made me doubt myself, so I grabbed my D750 put a polarizing filter on the lens and checked: It does remove (largely diminish) reflections from metal surfaces!

The question is: Does the paint/varnish have anything to do with that?

An experiment is always better than theory :wink: .
In theory (!) car finish should work but not parts that have chromium plating.

Great car. Is this a wall reflecting in the bumper?

No, that’s the reflection of the cobblestone parking space the car is on. On the right side, where the fender turns up, you can see a hint of the curb and the grey pedestrian path.

BTW: The reddish teint started to annoy me; Diminished the saturation and chroma a bit on my side of things and it looks better now. Still the reddish glow from the stones beneath it, but much more acceptable.

A polarizer affects reflections off non-metallic surfaces.

If a metal part is painted, then the surface is not metallic.

1 Like

Well I think you’ve done a great job of reducing the background . I didn’t notice till you mentioned it.
Nicely done by leaving an atmosphere of presence, but not obtusely.
Polarizers ply by their own rules! What you see is what you get!, and in multi curved surfaces of bodywork, the effects will vary.