Stormy Day as a wall print

We have a bunch of my pictures in our apartment, mostly of people. But we have so far failed to get a large print that we like. It should be something abstract and calm, printed on a 1,20x0,60m canvas. After a lot of searching through our catalogue, we settled on the following picture:

DSC_8579.NEF (18.8 MB) licensed as Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

We already got a smaller print proof of this, and the picture here is the adjusted version after the proof. I’ve actually tried various rendering in various raw editors, including Lightroom and Capture One, but in this instance, Darktable clearly came out on top for a detailed job like this. There’s just so much control here that’s missing elsewhere (but we can maybe discuss that elsewhere).

5 Likes

My version. Thanks for posting!

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (17.4 KB)

DT4.0.0.

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (11.4 KB)

2 Likes

This interpretation aims for color separation between water and sky.

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (28.7 KB)

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.9

DSC_8579.jpg.out.pp3 (13.7 KB)

3 Likes

@bastibe This is a beautiful photo and I doubt that I’ve made any improvement at all, but here is my attempt with dt 4.4.2.

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (8.4 KB)

2 Likes

I want to be very honest here, I absolutely hate the Chernobyl-colored water in the original image. Tried to quickly replace it like this which isn’t perfect or good by any means but maybe illustrates how adjusting the hue of the water could improve the image (given enough time and skill neither of which I have):

DSC_8579.jpg.out.pp3 (18.1 KB)

“So we sailed on to the sun
'Til we found a sea of green”

DSC_8579_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15.2 KB)

1 Like

It was indeed a green sea that stormy day. Not that that’s an unusual sight on the Ijsselmeer.

1 Like

Just recently watched „Yellow Submarine“ with my grandchildren :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My version…

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (23.2 KB)

4 Likes

Here’s my take on it, in ART 1.2.0.1

DSC_8579.NEF.arp (21.8 KB)

My usual approach which included (among other things):

• Slight tonal gradients on both the water and sky to bring back a little more contrast.

• Slight fine local contrast through a gradient mask on the water foreground

• Slight coarse local contrast through a gradient mask on the sky to puff up the clouds a bit

• Subtle ‘bluing’, darkening and desaturation of the water near the horizon, through a gradient mask

• Subtle bump of tone and saturation on the foreground wave highlights only through a gradient mask

• RL deconvolution sharpening with the threshold turned up so mostly only the sailboats were affected

My goal was to give as much depth as possible.

Fun to play with!

5 Likes

Do you mean something like this?

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (13.8 KB)

1 Like

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (14.5 KB)

Same here…

DSC_8579_01.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

2 Likes

I thought this worked quite well… :smiley:
DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (8.1 KB)

3 Likes

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (30.7 KB)

1 Like

It’s interesting how different the waves and the sky behave when editing. There’s a balance to be struck between their brightnesses, and their internal contrasts.

Also note how the left side gets a tad darker, especially in the sky. And how the water loses a bit specularity towards the right edge.

Thanks for your image. My attempt with DT 4.4.2

Tried different things. With such a strong green sea - it needs an equally strong sky… I just couldn’t get the sky looking natural with a strong blue.

DSC_8579.NEF.xmp (19.3 KB)