Struggling with White balance

Add 15. See

I’ve just made a preset to turn the black levels to 143. Somebody mentioned that you should do +15 to whatever they were before, but for me they seem to all be 128

With my LX7, I get all kinds of values, see https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/10008#issuecomment-922359733

1 Like

Yup, me too

Once somebody told me how to set the “correct” white balance. I’ve used it ever since.

1. Set the vibrance at max or 50%. In DT it’s part of color balance rgb module
  2. Switch to the wb/color calibration module. Play with the temperature. Any change in colour will become very apparent and also you can easily see what will please you.
  3. DO NOT FORGET to reset the vibrance to 0.
  4. Go on your merry way doing further processing

Your colours will be a lot better…

Another use of 143 :wink: .

P1080027.RW2.xmp (14.5 KB)

1 Like

This was my edit once I got the black point right. Used an exposure mask to bring some more light to my friends. Feel like I might have gone a bit too far on the sky, but liked the overall result. I often struggle going from my monitor to my phone, where most people will view my images. I think my monitor is definitely brighter. It gets skin tones wrong as well, on my monitor it will look normal and right then on the phone it will look like they’ve had a bad spray tan! Tend to have to export, look at on my phone, then re edit a bit.

P1080027_03.RW2.xmp (22.4 KB)

2 Likes

AFAIK, there are at least two “14-140” lenses (I also have one, the older model). If your colors change suddenly, it could be outside of the camera and lens: Screen, GFX card, screen calibration, even different ambient light. I only have two different lenses for my Panasonic, but I think they don’t need a different color calibration.
Also after editing WB, I often just return to the initial setting (agreed, I try to get the initial setting right).
In Lightroom (5) the preset for WB is too much magenta IMHO, so I frequently shift a bit towards green. Maybe that’s your problem, too.

I really wonder what the magic “15” is all about; the source has not comments it seems.

My version using darktable 4.0.0

P1080027.RW2.xmp (19.5 KB)

P1080027.jpg.out.pp3 (14.7 KB)
In RT-dev… tried to increase the color variety. Color balance picked on dark-grey cloud base.

1 Like

Hi, here’s my take on it along with the .xmp file. Hope this helps (the masking around the two walkers could be more precise with a path but it will serve as an example).
Cheers
P1080027.RW2.xmp (38.8 KB)