Stubborn sensor spots

Sigh.
Yes, I have read about rocket blowers, as well as wet cleaning of the sensor.
But I have not found any information about how to localize those darn spots!
I.e. when I develop a RAW, I find a stubborn spot at (say) lower left.
What part of the sensor (as seen from the front of the camera)
would need extra care? Lower left, or upper right, or?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

upper right.

1 Like

Hello Claes,

Not really an answer, but when I cleaned my sensor with a kind of pen device (with a soft dot, can’t remember if it was wettish or not - I lost the thing over time) the instructions were to clean the whole sensor in horizontal and vertical directions.

In other words, don’t look for spots but clean the whole thing!

Moin Claes,
happy Easter to you.

May be a sensor magnifier could help?

best wishes
Martin

Have wet cleaned before but I am looking at this right now Pulizia sensori reflex - Pentax O-ICK1 - image sensor cleaning - YouTube

1 Like

Quote myself:

I find a stubborn spot at (say) lower left.
What part of the sensor (as seen from the front of the camera)
would need extra care? Lower left, or upper right, or?

Ha! I found it. On my camera it was located at the upper left of
the sensor.

I seem to have gotten rid of the spots now. It took several wet wipe
sessions, evidently I have neglected the spots for far too long.
(And, I was too careful/lighthanded during my first test-sweeps.)

1 Like

The image on the sensor is rotated by 180 degrees, but then when you open the camera, you are facing it, so a dust spot in the photo’s top right corner is on the bottom left of the sensor when viewed from behind the camera, but bottom right when cleaning it.

This is what I use to find dust on the sensor:

The kit includes a lens that has LEDs to illuminate the sensor, with the tube being half open from the side, so you can stick in the cleaning pen:

https://www.amazon.de/Lenspen-nsklk-1-Sensor-erhellend-Eingabestift-Birne/dp/B009JBK6RS

2 Likes

Ah, that was the thing I used, the LensPen! I bought it without the other things in the kit, some 10 years ago if I remember well. Around 25€ and it worked well and efficient. That loupe might come in handy btw.

Yeah, I have a LensPen I’ve used on telescope eyepieces for years, but only as an interim procedure. Otherwise it’s a wet cleaning. But that loupe looks neat.

1 Like

Here’s a good tutorial on how to find the dirt and clean the sensor:

1 Like

I tried cleaning my sensor once, and I ruined it — never again! Personally, I’d find it so much quicker, easier, safer, and a heck of a lot cheaper to ‘clean’ the resulting image (if I ever get one where any dust spots actually show up, that is).