Subsequent adjustment Date/Time Original

Hello,
unfortunately I have encountered a problem for which I have not found a solution and would therefore need a tip or information that this is not possible.
It is about the following: I have already edited approx. 150 of my approx. 2900 vacation pictures and have now reduced the Exif: Date/Time Original by 1 hour for the pictures from the 2nd camera so that the recording times of the two cameras used harmonize. This was no problem with exiftool and was done in just a few minutes.
In Darktable, however, I see the date that was entered during the first import and before the RAW development. Unfortunately, re-importing the images in question does not adopt the new date, so my action for sorting on the light table and for exporting after processing did not help.
Re-importing would only help if I deleted the xmp files first, but then my edits are gone.
Is there a solution for this in Darktable?
Greeting
Thomas

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

There is an option to re-read metadata from files in the selectes images module on the metadata tab.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help, but I have been using this procedure to correct date/time of the pics, and have been successful so far (with an exception).

1. I import the photos as is normal. Here the film roll gives the incorrect date. So if your date is incorrect, you will have to adopt a procedure at a later stage.
  2. Sort the pics based on capture time.
  3. Take one picture and in the geotagging module, enter the correct date/time. Make sure you use only the ‘tab’ key to move from one field to another. After you have made the correction in the last entry, the seconds entry. Press the tab key.
  4. At this time, the lock key and the date time offset button will light up. Press both.
  5. The new and correct date time will get registered for that photo. You can check that in the image information
  6. Now select the rest of the images and press adjust date/time. All the pics will get corrected to the right time (and date) as DT changes the info based on the relative time of the first pic you had corrected.
  7. However, the film roll will show the incorrect date if there is a date offset. For this, you will need to change the date outside of DT and then correct the film roll entry within DT (as DT will strike through the incorrect date.

Hope this makes sense and it will be helpful. All the best

Thank you, I hadn’t even noticed this tab before. It works perfectly. I’m thrilled; every day I work with DT a little more.
Regards
Thomas

Thank you, as you can see there are many ways to Rome. I haven’t yet dealt with the geo-tagging module. I’m sure it will come. Especially when I need to add geo-information to the pictures. My camera doesn’t have an internal GPS module. I rarely track, and when I do I use my smartphone to add it to the pictures in SW.
Thanks and have a good time
Greetings
Thomas

For putting the pics on the map, it is a little complicated if you have different locations in the pictures. Here is the best way to handle it. My camera, like yours, also does not have GPS.

1. Select the pics of one location
  2. Go to other tab and select maps. use the map source that you prefer. I use Google Maps.
  3. Zoom into the location of the pictures.
  4. Select the pictures at the bottom of the screen and drag them to the location. You should be able to see the number of pics you have selected on the left bottom corner of the first group of pics you are dragging.
  5. Now go back to lighttable and select the next set of pics and follow the same procedure.

Here is a catch/bug maybe. In the map mode, you cannot select multiple images using the shift key. Your only recourse is to select one at a time using the CTRL key. That is obviously a pain. hence, you will need to go back and forth between the lighttable and maps modules.

That the maps’ info is registered, you will be able to see in your picture archiving software. I use Digikam for this purpose, and am very satisfied with its performance and facilities. Here the thumbnail shows the earth icon and in the detail, it shows the exact location. You know then the DT is doing the location tagging correctly

Hope this also helps