Subtle Vignette with GIMP-2.9.6

@afre, thanks for the suggestion.

@paperdigits, I get this error:

The G Vignette… that comes wih Gimp is ideal.
You get more controls (X, Y and so on), except for the artifact or light lines that come from all four corners.

The artifacts look bad on blue skies. They can be tamed by setting a bigger radius. The artifacts are more noticeable when using a smaller radius.
Too bad that’s the way it works if you use a smaller radius, it should not work that way.
I will use it only with a big radius.
Thanks all for taking a look!

There is a choice, fix the script. I do not have any scripting skills but it is still sometimes relatively easy

Fixed, remember to unzip it http://www.mediafire.com/file/4lb9s1ap9gxoo2z/subtle-vignette_0.scm.zip

A more universal way which glosses over the many scripts and plugins that contain deprecated procedures.

Run Gimp 2.9.x with the switch --pdb-compat-mode=on

In Windows add it to the launcher after the quotes something like this screenshot.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=650

the message you are getting is a warning as it says, and not an error. Everything should work as it did before until sometime in the future they remove the old procedure.

The “light lines” are optical illusions (related to Mach bands). For example, the pixels on the top-left line are actually no lighter than pixels to the right or below. They just look lighter. It is caused by isolines (lines of constant lightness) having a sudden change of direction.

Illusion or not, the effect is annoying. It is reduced by blurring (so isolines are smoother). I prefer to generate vignetting with a gradient that has smooth isolines (eg ImageMagick “radial-gradient:”).

@dngimage First two links from a web search:

@paperdigits, thanks for the script.

@rich2005, thanks for fixing the script.

@Bilbo, thanks, yes it is a warning but it works.

@snibgo, true, illusion or not, the effect is annoying. Too bad, I like G Vignette since you get to control X and Y and other things too. Thanks.

@afre, I know how to do it, I just needed a script/plugin to do it faster with several images. Thanks.

Now I can’t get this one to work:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/17267

Not even with Gimp 2.9.x’s switch: --pdb-compat-mode=on

I wrote a quick simple G’MIC filter. I may add to it later. You may try it out by creating a user.gmic file and placing it in the correct directory:

At startup, G’MIC automatically includes user’s command file $HOME/.gmic (on Unix) or APPDATA/user.gmic (on Windows).

@David_Tschumperle Just added it to gmic-community for me! Just update your filters.

Edited: see date in screenshot.

#@gui Vigrect : fx_vigrect, fx_vigrect_preview(1)
#@gui : Size(%) = int(10,1,25)
#@gui : Blur(%) = int(10,5,20)
#@gui : Opacity = float(.75,.5,1)
#@gui : sep = separator(), note = note("Filter by <i>afre</i>. Latest update: <i>2017-01-05</i>.")
fx_vigrect :
  p={min(w,h)*$1/100}
  --to_gray -rectangle. {[$p,$p,w-$p,h-$p]}
  -f. i==0?0:ia#0 -b. {min(w,h)*$2/100} -*. $3 -- -c 0,255

fx_vigrect_preview :
  -fx_vigrect $*
2 Likes

If I change line 1:
#@gui Vigrect : vigrect, fx_vigrect_preview(1)
to:
#@gui Vigrect : fx_vigrect, fx_vigrect_preview(1)
it works using the GIMP plugin.

1 Like

Thanks. Typo.

This is it fixed (sort off). Really it is one to discard, these scripts are for older days, smaller images.

With large images the gaussian blur failed. I put a limit on that but…up to you to try and see.

The Gimp 2.9 GEGL vignette is very good and you do get to edit the effect on the canvas.

1 Like

@afre, great G’MIC example. Thanks.

@rich2005, it does exactly what I wanted and no artifacts. Too bad it can’t be used on large images.

Which one is the Gimp 2.9 GEGL vignette? The one that comes with Gimp 2.9.x (G Vignette…)? I get artifacts with that one.

I updated the Vigrect filter to include opacity to control the subtlety of the vignette. After all, that is a part of the title of the thread.

Just a note : I’ve added the Vigrect and Gamify filters in the plug-in for everyone, located in section Testing / Afre / .
I think @afre will be OK to manage his own filter source file now directly in the gmic-commuity repository, so that people enjoy it without having to copy/paste his code in the gmic user file :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like @afre is official now! Congrats! :smile:

Indeed ! but did I really let him decide ? :smiley:
@afre, that being said, and if you agree, I’d like of course to add your name or pseudo (you decide) to the list of contributors !

@afre,
Nice addition. I like the Opacity control! :slight_smile:

@afre, thanks again!

Handsome backside of a statue :slight_smile:. Did you take this photo? If so, where is this?

1 Like

Thanks @afre!
I took that one some months ago in Des Moines, Iowa. I went to Iowa to a conference.
https://www.worldfoodprize.org/en/hall_of_laureates/welcome_to_the_hall_of_laureates/