Sunset at the Habana malecón.

Hello.

Days ago I took some shots at the Habana malecón, this is one of them. I will like to see how you develop this kind of images and how did you use the filmic rgb to handle the dynamic range.

_DSF0552.RAF (48.1 MB)
_DSF0552.RAF.xmp (28.2 KB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Greetings from Habana, Cuba. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Impressive shot!
I’ve not used filmic

_DSF0552.RAF.xmp (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks, I was on the wall and got wet, camera and all. jjj

1 Like

habana.malecon.sunset.raf.xmp (29.9 KB) darktable 3.7.0+1600

EDIT: Missed a dust/lens spot, straightened the horizon and added a bit more contrast.

2 Likes

ART

1 Like

A spectacular shot!
Not done with filmic. I created three exposures in Filmulator (-1, +1, +3), blended them with enfuse. In GIMP a very slight increase in the darkest parts and sharpened with wavelet-decompose.

1 Like

Playing with GIMP 2.10.24 LAB and G`MIC

1 Like

_DSF0552.RAF.xmp (32.1 KB)

2 Likes

Beautiful shot!!

Thanks for sharing.

I hope the camera survived the salty shower

_DSF0552.RAF.xmp (22.8 KB)

2 Likes

Wonderful image! Hope the camera is okay; if you treat it with kid gloves, you miss shots like this…

I have a different sort of filmic in rawproc; it’s just the tone curve. So, I’m posting a screenshot rather than a final render, and the plot of the filmic curve is in plain view in the bottom-left corner. Of note is there are two contributing tone curves in the toolchain - the filmic curve and the TRC in the display profile. I also used the librtprocess highlight recovery routine just after the blackwhite scaling.

The camera survived, even the 14mm too, hopefully I continue taken some other shots.
This is another take of the same day, but this one was first with the XF Fujinon 18-55mm R LM OIS.

4 Likes

Great to see other software with different options!! I’ve never seen before the rawproc in action, but it seems that recover the dynamic range very well.

1 Like

Good to know it’s safe (a miracle, judging by the size of the waves!)

And… Wow! Fantastic shot!

Unfortunately, I missed waves like those when I was there - but not the kids playing around the malecón, a trademark I guess.

1 Like

The screenshot shows use of the Duiker filmic curve, which is the progenitor of what you use in darktable. A, B, C, and D are coefficients in the Duiker equation, and in rawproc the values can be dialed up and down with the mouse wheel to shape the curve. It’s not intuitive, but I’ve come to know the effect of each. Take a look at the curve plot, it’s rather aggressive owing to the large dynamic range of your wonderful capture. In my shooting, In most of my photography I expose to preserve highlights, so I spend a lot of time with curves like this…

Beautiful. You really have a handle on this challenging light…

1 Like

Very well to know about the use of curves and the software.

The Fujifilm X-H1 can retain quite a bit of dynamic range, which allows me to take shots that I didn’t even venture to try before.

I fought with my Nikon D7000 in that manner, then managed to procure a Z 6 - I can now venture into the low morning light with exposure-abandon… :laughing:

1 Like

_DSF0552.RAF.xmp (10.8 KB)

3 Likes

Used Filmic reconstruction @ 10, and dynamic range to +10, -10
Added Valvia @ 50-100-1 values (matter of taste)

Super shot! I feel like I’m there. Allowing the highlights on the water to be blown out a bit in this case is not wrong, it’s real.

1 Like

An attempt with ART

2 Likes