Sunset from the ferry

Here is a challenging (for me anyway) photo with a large dynamic range. I have been experimenting with darktable 3.6, and especially the color balance rgb module. I am interested to see everyone’s take on this!

Ferry sunset.NEF (27.4 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike

1 Like

Ferry sunset_01.NEF.xmp (25.8 KB)
dt 3.6.1

4 Likes

A blend of three exposure settings with Enfuse then into GIMP and used luminosity masks to make adjustments with Curves and Saturation.

Ferry sunset.NEF.xmp (13.7 KB)

1 Like

sunset.from.ferry.pp3 (20.8 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development + Future LA Tool.

2 Likes

Done with ART…edits in jpg

My take with darktable!

Ferry sunset.NEF.xmp (7.9 KB)

1 Like

Ferry sunset.NEF.xmp (26.1 KB)
that was quite tricky, and yet i still think there was something missing from my edit

2 Likes

This one is my favourite, because the sky looks natural and the trees on the hill are a discernible green (as opposed to a dull grey in the NEF preview, and too dark to see in the other attempts so far).

1 Like

First, I adjusted the exposure and black level correction to pop the details along the shore. Then, I used the tone equalizer to bring the sky’s exposure back down. Last, I tried the color calibration module’s “detect from area” on various areas in the clouds until I got this, which is already not bad:

From there, I first tried to use the color zones module (inspired by @arctic’s edits) to get more saturation and details in the trees and on the mountain slope. I got the nearer trees to be more green, but the mountain slope still lacks contrast. It could be a matter of learning and practice, but I found the color zones module to be unwieldy. The result:

Then I went back to the first attempt and applied the filmic module’s middle tones saturation instead, and finally got this, which I was happy with:

2 Likes