Sunset in Corsica

That’s actually how I imagine it. But I personally lack the know-how how to best get to this goal, with tolerable noise. Many Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah… I never managed to achieve significant results with PhF NR module.
If it were just luminance noise, I’d be satisfied, I kinda liked the grainy shadows in this rendering.
EDIT: Your comment about noise made me try another attempt, unsuccessful though. But I gladly found out that module tonemappingv3 behaves better and seems to be more flexible than the later one. I could render a more colourful sky, and less pissy-yellow as Aurélien uses to mention it. So here it goes.

P1150686_Pointe de la Parata.pfi (44.0 KB)

this is a vkdt render. hard to strike a good balance in this one… tried to bring out the foreground without loosing the hazy look. could probably use some more contrast/sharpening, but i think that’d probably not be what it looked like. if you don’t like the haze, this might be a candidate for @heckflosse’s rt haze removal.

this image: combination of curve + local contrast:

param:filmcurv:01:x0:0
param:filmcurv:01:x1:0.1
param:filmcurv:01:x2:0.9
param:filmcurv:01:x3:1
param:filmcurv:01:y0:0
param:filmcurv:01:y1:0.0268
param:filmcurv:01:y2:0.9
param:filmcurv:01:y3:1
param:filmcurv:01:black:-3.37732
param:llap:01:sigma:0.18351
param:llap:01:shadows:0.76289
param:llap:01:hilights:0.80412
param:llap:01:clarity:0.38557

darktable 3.5.0~git2429

P1150686_Pointe de la Parata.RW2.xmp (9,3 Ko)

Thanks for sharing. This is my version (3.5.0~git2427.66a2a8a84f-1)

P1150686_Pointe de la Parata.RW2.xmp (46.2 KB)

2 Likes

Similar workflow as Tree, lights and clouds - #3 by afre. Changed RCD (buggy in PF) to AMaZE. Smoothed less and desaturated shadows.

Raw PhotoFlow.
Play G'MIC.

2 Likes

Nice edit, @afre .
Amazing job in reducing noise.
What gmic module you’ve used for that?
EDIT: Maybe this one?

I did another attempt, this time bringing out the shadows some more, and refining the noise reduction a bit. It’s still a tad blotchy.

• Profiled CA on
  • Profiled Distortion on
  • Temperature 4351.6
  • Exposure Comp -1/6
  • Shadow Rolloff Point 0.00194
  • Film Area 63
  • Drama 100
  • White Clipping Point 0.73
  • Shadow Brightness 516.5
  • Saturation 100
1 Like

Very nice scene!

sunset-in-corsica-P1150686_Pointe de la Parata.RW2.xmp (12.5 KB)
dt 3.4.1

1 Like

@gadolf When I say G’MIC, I mean my custom code. I tend to use it like a paintbrush on a canvas rather than a set of modules. Sort of a live coding session, if you know what that is.

No, but if I were to replace the builtin denoiser with mine in Iain’s algorithm, the output would be even better.

1 Like

Hi @Mc-Marcus ! Welcome to the forum!

This is a very nice scene, but the processing was not so easy. Especially removing the noise was a challenge:

P1150686_Pointe de la Parata_03.RW2.xmp (17,9 KB)

darktable 3.5.0~git2429.f684738d13-1

Focus for me was the colorful sky and the path with people on the right side of the picture.

4 Likes

rt haze removal is from @agriggio . poor_man_dehaze is from me, but does not work on this image

On my last attempt I figured the easiest way to deal with the noise is to keep everything very dark but some other edits inspired me to take another stab at it and see how far I can get with some more aggessive denoising. There’s some really nasty chroma noise that’s hard to get rid of.

Anyway, attempt #2 with RT5.8 dev.

P1150686_Pointe de la Parata-4.jpg.out.pp3 (23.6 KB)

1 Like

Which I think is dark channel prior haze removal.

Sample, two versions of noise removal always in GIMP Lab* using GMIC or Wavelet denoise, channels a and b Gauss blur

PhotoFlow => GIMP_LAB-GMIC

1 Like

There is really a lot of color noise in the picture. I don’t even know why that’s gotten so much out of ISO 500. It’s so difficult to get to grips with.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your hard work.

2_02.RW2.xmp (11.5 KB)

I also did it again. Here is my 2nd variant. I switched back to the old display referred mode.

Thank you Boris.

1 Like

Careful with the edges.