Sunset in the Dolomites (color grading challenge)

DSC07706_08.ARW.xmp (22.9 KB)
DSC07706.ARW (23.8 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

A picture from before the pandemic…
The scene as I remember it was very clean, warm and colorful.
So the challenge is to color grade it with the tool you like to enhance color and clarity, preserving the sunset atmosphere, while fixing issues like blue-looking snow in the shade, etc.
Enjoy.

14 Likes

Very nice! Here’s my attempt:

12 Likes

Thanks for posting, interesting challenge
dt 3.4.1

DSC07706_02.ARW.xmp (17.1 KB)

mountains and snow…what could be more beautiful?

try on laptop…

Sunset in the Dolomites (color grading challenge)_DSC07706.ARW.xmp (13.6 KB)

…and crop

Sunset in the Dolomites (color grading challenge)_DSC07706_01.ARW.xmp (14.1 KB)

snow in the shade under a blue sky is always blue in my experience… :smiley: but it’s artistic freedom :wink:

2 Likes

So, I spent some time messing with various tone curve strategies, particularly wanted to avoid crushing the almost-black slope on the right, finally settled on @McCap’s doublelogistic curve which provided the necessary lift and the best toe, without messing up the sky color (too much, anyway…) . The white balance from the camera was too cool, and I found my gray-world auto took care of it. In consideration of your description of the warmth and colorfulness of the scene, I added some color saturation that particularly warmed the sunlit mountain face. In rawproc:

Edit, didn’t look right when I uploaded it, so I darkened the tone curve and re-posted…

2 Likes

dolomites.pp3 (24.0 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

6 Likes

Pushed too much, forgot to check gamut. Still a wonderful shot!

4 Likes

Nice one!

I would say this photo needs rather darkening. When everything is well lit, the majestic mountain loses its three-dimensionality. And I can’t imagine that the snow in the shadows under this blue sky didn’t become bluish.

DSC07706_01.ARW.xmp (12,4 KB)

8 Likes

DSC07706.ARW.xmp (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

Great picture! I have played with colorcalibration and tried to get the right atmosphere into the result! Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful photo. I also went with the idea of maximizing the main subject and allowing the foreground to be more in the shadows. I am puzzled though; what are the splotchy areas at the base of the trees, just to the left of center?

dt 3.4.1

DSC07706.ARW.xmp (8.8 KB)

With Filmulator:

• Auto CA correct 1
  • Profiled Distortion on (the pincushion distortion de-emphasized the mountain)
  • Temperature 7945 (to warm the image up)
  • Drama 67
  • White Clipping Point 0.488
  • Shadow Brightness 214
6 Likes

Easy to mess up the color of the snow on this one.

RT5.8

DSC07706-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

DSC07706.ARW.xmp (12.8 KB)

3 Likes

Darktable (main) + GIMP(few fine tune)

7 Likes

My attempt.
But I do not know how to get the white snow in the shade.
My science of colors is very insufficient.

DSC07706.ARW.xmp (8.9 KB)

Most done with RT:
DSC07706.tif.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)

And a little bit with G’MIC:

2 Likes

Art 1.8.2

DSC07706.jpg.out.arp (11.0 KB)

3 Likes

Hi nice image,
my version maybe turned out a bit dark in the shadows. But i think its brings the attention to the mountain :wink:

DT 3.5.0+1303

DSC07706.ARW.xmp (17.0 KB)

2 Likes

DSC07706-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.1 KB)

4 Likes