Sunset on the Red River

I just posted this image in the “Charge your batteries…” topic, but thought someone might want to play with it. I shot three auto-bracketed exposures but ended up using only the underexposed frame. I’ll put all three raws here if you want to try to composite them. I used ART 1.20.1 plus Affinity Photo (for minor cleanup, vignette and export only).

These files are all licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

IMG_9763.CR3.arp (28.0 KB)

IMG_9762.CR3 (26.1 MB, correctly exposed)
IMG_9763.CR3 (23.1 MB, underexposed)
IMG_9764.CR3 (28.0 MB, overexposed)

11 Likes

Nice shot! I like your version more than mine - I struggled with the dynamic range. I used the 'correct; exposure BTW - there was only a little blowout in the highlights which I wasn’t really worried about.
IMG_9762.CR3.xmp (10.8 KB)

1 Like

Yeah the highlights are generally easier to deal with than the shadows, at least for me. My original intent was to probably use one frame as the primary then mask and paint-in the missing parts in Affinity Photo from one of the other shots. But all those leaves… a blend range or luminosity mask would help but it would still be tough. At least there was no wind at all.

2 Likes

A lot of fun to play with, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
IMG_9762.CR3.xmp (19.9 KB)

3 Likes

2 Likes

My version…

IMG_9762-hdr.dng.xmp (17.6 KB)

4 Likes

IMG_9762-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15,1 KB)

1 Like

This is interesting. By removing the orange from the cloud highlights somehow to me it looks like sunrise instead of sunset. Of course they should both be colorful but that’s what my brain says…

Thanks for posting

Using darktable 4.4.2 ( darktable HDR processing)

IMG_9762-hdr.dng.xmp (9.5 KB)

Using Luminance HDR after CR3-> TIFF Conversion / HDR Operator Mantiuk’06

2 Likes

IMG_9762.CR3.xmp (13.8 KB)

DT 4.4.2

2 Likes

The different renderings are interesting because they’re all legitimate versions, yet I’m the only one who knows what it actually looked like in person (if that indeed is the intent of the rendering). My version was reasonably – albeit not perfectly – close to actual appearance but all these others are variations on that reality.

Nice!

2 Likes

I thought this was a nice image to play with. Don’t think I added anything special, but thanks for sharing the image :+1:

IMG_9763.CR3.xmp (14.7 KB)

edit: as I’m seeing it, I probably went overboard with the colors, but… it is what it is :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not too much, actually it’s fairly close to what I saw.

1 Like

IMG_9763.CR3.xmp (14.2 KB)

Hard to know what to do with a sunset you have not photographed yourself. But here is my take on it.

2 Likes

I think you figured it out, though. Looks good!

1 Like

RAW development in darktable. Then fused images in Hugin and took tif back to darktable. Here is what I got. Tried to avoid too HDR kind of image and still have some vibrant colors

20230902_193522 - 20230902_193523_fused.tif.xmp (9.9 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for the sequence of images. My attempt using DT 4.4.2

Used a HDR created from the three provided images - then a mixture of DT ‘scene referred’ and ‘display referred’ modules.

IMG_9762-hdr.dng.xmp (15.2 KB)

1 Like

IMG_9762.CR3.xmp (16.8 KB)

4 Likes