Sunset scene with darktable & rawtherapee

Hi, so I shot this recently. Highlight is not clipped. It’s even too underexposed… So my bad on that.

The problem is I tried to process it with Darktable and cannot get good color & tonal transition in highlight like what I can do on Rawtherapee.

This one is rawtherapee’s edit. DSC08448.ARW.pp3 (11.5 KB)

This one is darktable’s edit. DSC08448.ARW.xmp (7.6 KB)

Here’s the raw file. DSC08448.ARW (23.6 MB)

I would appreciate it if somebody could demonstrate the ability of Darktable better than me for this one.

Thank you!

The raw file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

This uses Y luminance for the preserve chrominance option in Filmic to avoid that look in the highlights. Nice image by the way!

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (8.1 KB) .

4 Likes

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (13.0 KB)

6 Likes

what a wonderful picture :smile: :+1:

it’s my try

DT 3.4

RGB Curve, tonecurve, local contrast, soften, color balance, color zone

Sunset scene with darktable & rawtherapee_DSC08448.ARW.xmp (11.3 KB)

2 Likes

This is one of those images that I would have done in RawTherapee, but you asked for a darktable version:

sunset.scene.arw.xmp (14.4 KB) darktable 3.5.0

The sky might be a bit too blue for some, but that can be adjusted if need be.

6 Likes

hi baongoc124

Can you please attach your * .xmp, * .pp3 file from your editing? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My edit with Darktable and scene refered process

DSC08448_01.ARW.xmp (9.3 KB)

7 Likes

:thinking: It is tempting to dial the HDR-look to over 9000!*.

* If you are a Dragon Ball fan, you would know the actual quote (right-to-left) is image

2 Likes

@matze Got it! Thaaaank youuuuuu! In the past, I tried that option some times but it never got what I wanted so I totally forgot its existence.

@age I like color from your edit a lot. Nice use of curve (as usual) :smiley:

@Suki2019 wow, so many curves! :smiley: I edited the original post with my xmp & pp3 file. But it’s just a quick edit so it’s very simple inside. :sweat_smile:

@stansz oh, you used graduated density module to bring sky’s blue back. I don’t even remember that module. Nice!

@afre haha, yeah, I’m totally a Dragon Ball’s fan. But I must admit that this is the first time I read it in Japanese.

1 Like

Thank you. Please post you rawtherapee edit too. :smiley:

I tried it in Filmulator, and avoided the temptation of going image because I really liked the way the reflections stand out.

• Auto CA Correct 1
  • Temperature 4587 (a bit warmer)
  • Exposure Compensation -2/3
  • Film Area 75
  • Drama 100
  • Overdrive on
  • White Clipping Point 0.406
  • Shadow Brightness 544
4 Likes

@CarVac Nice edit! I should try Filmulator then.

I tried. It’s surprisingly easy to use. Doesn’t seem like a libre software at all. Haha. (I meant they usually difficult to use compared to shareware counterparts.)

I only did a darktable edit, but here’s a waiting-for-my-coffee-to-get-ready RawTherapee edit:

sunset.scene.pp3 (20.2 KB) RawTherapee 5.8-2743-g6b1e5d618

4 Likes

My interpretation, DT 3.5 git

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (17.3 KB)

2 Likes

Tried to keep the structure in the highlights.

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (9.9 KB)

8 Likes

RawTherapee

DSC08448.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

Very nice and evocative shot @baongoc124! Here is a RawTherapee attempt.
DSC08448.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

2 Likes

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (13.3 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for the image, i like it a lot :blush:
I took the freedom and cropped the image to give it more focus ( to me at least :wink: )
I “crushed” the shadows a bit because i like it and used the colorbalance for a hint of purple on the mountains and clouds.
(i crushed the shadows maybe to much, on my smartphone oled screen it’s almost black :confused: )

DSC08448.ARW.xmp (18.6 KB)
DT 3.4

3 Likes

Folks, don’t let my HDR comment discourage you from clarifying the dark regions. Call it a challenge to make it look as natural as possible. After all, @stansz’s rendition is well-liked.