Super Blood Wolf Moon - Ready your cameras!

Well it’s totally raining now; who’da thunk it. The accuweather minutecast has us wet for the next hour. The radar shows a possible clearing in time for maximality, but we will see… In the meantime: for my fellow meterology nerds, here is last night’s Lunar Halo:

IMG_6040.CR2.pp3 (11.6 KB)

And some clouds aloft right before sunset this evening:

IMG_6042.CR2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

IMG_6041.CR2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

1 Like

Nothing but clouds here. :frowning_face:

Here in the UK, the moon shone brightly through thin cloud for most of the night. But when the eclipse started, the cloud thickened and the moon hid away. Oh {expletive deleted}. My bed beckons.

Before and during the eclipse (quickly done)

10 Likes

@sguyader did better than I. Here’s my best one:

4 Likes

Thanks. Mine is noisy though, I posted the image without trying to take care of noise. I have several shots that I will try to stack

I wish I had planned better. I first set up the telescope, but discovered the mirror was out of whack, so I packed it up and got out the camera and tripod. Earlier, I got the Nikon email about how to shoot the eclipse, and they had a link to an exposure summary so I brought that up, but I ended up just doing a lot of random bracketing, all on ISO 400, f8. I did a couple of rapid bracketing sequences from which I might try to stack a few.

Nikon D7000 with my old Nikkor 18-200 lens. If I’d thought it through, I’d have dug out the Raspberry Pi I set up with gphoto and the QDSLR-somethingorother server, and sat inside controlling the camera. And, I’d have also planned out a sequence.

Here’s one more, where I used a log curve to pull up the data, and my new wavelet denoise, yanked from dcraw:

4 Likes

Mine was a 1:1 crop. Camera is a Fujifilm X-T2 with a Fujifilm 55-200 lens. I set it to 5.6 @ 200mm, and also experimented with iso (800-3200) and shutter speed (1/4 to 1"). I haven’t checked the whole sequence yet. But so far I’m really happy with how it turned out, I didn’t expect that.
@ggbutcher your log curve is to transform data from linear space?

1 Like

Yes. I usually use a straight line curve between the desired black and white points, but this just pulled the dark area into noisy prominence. I have a tone tool with a selection of transfer functions I’ve coded up, the first image is using a log curve similar to what @anon41087856 put into dt filmic. The second image, however, didn’t do as well with it, and I ended up using a Reinhard tonemap and then a rgb curve.

Really, just messing around…

Edit: Actually, I don’t remember which got which treatment. It’s in the exit description…

The moon did not disappoint. The heavens receded and we beheld the 2019 Super Blood Wolf Moon.

Here’s a EF 75-300mm @ 300mm shot, dcraw -h -4 -T conversion processed in RT.

IMG_6107.tiff.pp3 (11.0 KB)

Here’s one w/ EF-50mm II:

IMG_6113.CR2.pp3 (11.3 KB)

3 Likes

Astrometry.net has an online tool that shows you which constellations and stars appear in your images(!!!) Here’s the resultant overlay from my 50mm shot:

Looks like thats Cluster M44 “The Beehive” I’ve captured near the bottom!

4 Likes

Neat!

This is what I man, way lacking def but to be hon I’m pretty hap with it considering I’d just disco me-zoom’s cheap plastic plate mount (aha!) is brok in two points rayo winni; w the f @1 was the wolfi hid end? =)

@1 to avoid semantics’ polemics,“f” is for fuck

ISO 6400 / f5.6 / 0.7’ / 300mm equiv

I did use other combinations (trying to palliate the mount issue), lower isos and more time, way slower apertures… but they all look like I’m watching (what I want to believe is ) Ava Gadner naked in the beach through the bottom of a bottle with 5 diopter glasses after drinking the bottle and loosing the glasses

4 Likes

Well, the clouds cleared briefly and I got some quick snapshots,some of them pretty nice but no big deal. I thought y’all would get more amusement from this shot, which taught me that 1) Panasonic believes “exposure bracket” means something different from what I thought, and 2) do not attempt to handhold an exposure bracketed shot! :grinning:

ETA: Just to prove I’m not a complete idiot… merely an incomplete one!

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing everyone!

After snowfall the previous night, the Toronto skies were mostly if not completely clear last night. The moon looked mightily handsome early nighttime, so large and detailed. However, it was bitter cold (-32°C dropping to -38°C) and I was tired after a long day and evening dinner gathering. I went home, did some chores and went straight to bed.

1 Like

Here’s what I came up with so far:

It’s made of a stack of around 20 images and although I was effectively capturing at 560mm on a FF body it is still heavily cropped… :disappointed_relieved:

For this particular photo though I must confess that I’ve used Affinity Photo to do the alignment and stacking for me… It’s just so easy :wink:

2 Likes

The best that put with my camera

5 Likes
1 Like

Obligatory XKCD “supermoon” post:

5 Likes

People.
Double check your rolls.
There’s a chance you might have captured something.

3 Likes