Super Blood Wolf Moon - Ready your cameras!

Sunday evening, at least in North America time zones, you’ll (hopefully) be able to see the Super Blood Wolf Moon and the Eclipse.

Here are a few pages about shooting an eclipse:

http://mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

Will you try and capture it?

I’m going to try and capture the moon rise over Vazquez Rock, a place famous for having many Star Trek scenes filmed there. I dunno about staying out until 9 something to catch the eclipse, but we’ll see how long I can make it!

2 Likes

Thanks, but no thanks :frowning:
It will be wolfiest at around 05.00
tomorrow morning here, and then
I will hopefully be fast asleep…

But I do promise to admire your photos!

eeeekkk… I dunno, this is out of my comfort zone.

Vasquez Rocks would be an awesome place to capture the eclipse. I’m pretty sure the parking area closes at sunset. It looks like you’d be able to hike down to the rocks though, probably about half a mile.

Good point, I’ll have to look into this!

Yes, I’m ready! :smiley: Just picked up my rental 100-400mm with 1.4 extender and now I just have to wake up early on Monday. Well, let’s see how that goes…

Good luck capturing!

1 Like

I’ll try and give it a shot too. No great long lens, just a 55-200mm zoom, but not a bad one (Fujifilm).
And maybe make a composite image with another lens (thinking of my 85mm f/1.4).
I’ll improvise.

I’m not going all out like @saknopper either. I’ve got the F-mount Tamron 70-200mm. I’m going to try and capture the moon rise of the rocks. I dunno if I can stick around for the actual eclipse, though it’d be cool.

I’ll of course go outside and try… but forecast here is for cloud cover.

For those in the US, here is NASA’s event timeline for January 20-21, 2019

9:36PM ET: Moon enters Earth’s penumbra.
10:33PM ET: Moon enters umbra.
11:41PM ET: Moon is fully inside umbra.
12:43AM ET: Moon leaves umbra.
1:50AM ET: Moon completely out of the umbra.
2:48AM ET: Moon completely out of the penumbra. The show’s over!

Last year we of course had the Super Blue Blood Moon nearly total eclipse. Here are the two shots I liked from the event (Lens = EF-75-300mm III @ 300mm):

f/11 ISO100 1/40" the full supermoon the evening before the morning’s eclipse.

f/5.6 ISO3200 6/10" Maximum ecliptitude, brick red with yellow rim.

Math nerds figure out how many stops light difference there are based on the camera settings.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting the times. I will go by them. I did a simple web and the times were different… Might not be able to capture it since I have no experience, but I will try, or at least have a good time viewing this moon, or clouds, with a few friends.

1 Like

Checking the weather, it will be cold with snowfall in Toronto. I don’t have any winter apparel suitable for photography and am unsure whether my low-end camera would be able to withstand the cold. :cold_face: Any suggestions?

Here are the ZULU and Pacific times, courtesy TimeAndDate.com

ZULU Pacific US
Penumbral Eclipse begins Jan 21 at 02:36:29 Jan 20 at 6:36:29 pm
Partial Eclipse begins Jan 21 at 03:33:54 Jan 20 at 7:33:54 pm
Full Eclipse begins Jan 21 at 04:41:17 Jan 20 at 8:41:17 pm
Maximum Eclipse Jan 21 at 05:12:14 Jan 20 at 9:12:14 pm
Full Eclipse ends Jan 21 at 05:43:15 Jan 20 at 9:43:15 pm
Partial Eclipse ends Jan 21 at 06:50:39 Jan 20 at 10:50:39 pm
Penumbral Eclipse ends Jan 21 at 07:48:02 Jan 20 at 11:48:02 pm

Generally speaking, cold is good for the noise performance. Too cold and you run into mechanical issues and, I guess, frost. Some astrophoto websites might have some rituals for the cold you can search up.

Here’s Orion’s Belt and Sword from a chilly November 2015 overnight shoot- 200 exposures stacked in DeepSkyStacker.

My T3i did fine in the weather, which was not cold at all by Toronto standards. I had the screen turned off to reduce temperature and the viewfinder covered to reduce the light leakage.

Our forecast Sunday night is overcast with a low of 9 degrees (F). Not promising, but I’ll keep an eye out the window and if the clouds break I might dash outside and take some quick snaps. I much prefer lunar eclipses in the summer!

I’m looking forward to seeing the photos everybody else takes. Please post yours.

If anyone’s in the Chicago area, check out the viewing party at Adler Planetarium. Even if the clouds don’t break, you’ll have the Chicago skyline to photograph which is not a bad consolation prize.

1 Like

I’m in Toronto too, so I am looking at the same challenges. Check the Goog for “cold weather photography”. There are plenty of articles discussing what you need to do to keep your gear working and free of condensation. Here are a couple:

https://www.adorama.com/alc/0008151/article/Winter-photography-tips

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/infographic-essential-tips-for-cold-weather-photography

But none of the tips would solve clouds dumping the snow… i̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶k̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶g̶r̶a̶p̶h̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶T̶o̶r̶o̶n̶t̶o̶.̶ My weather app is showing the sky clearing Sunday morning in Toronto and staying clear, so maybe we will actually get to witness/capture this one. :cold_face:

Hope so. The forecasts change all of the time in real time. It is hard to tell what will happen. :slight_smile: If not us, I am sure that someone is bound to get something marvellous!

1 Like

We are having slight breaks in the clouds this evening as they have been promising on the news. Chances of a photo have increased. The moon enters the penumbra in just an hour.

Tonite’s moonrise was breathtaking. The clouds cover the moon off an on.

IMG_6071.CR2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

Way too many clouds here in Southern California :frowning:

Looks like a great shot @HIRAM! Looking forward to others.

1 Like

We have wispy high clouds here in Colorado Springs. All I have is my 18-200, we’ll see how that goes…