Support for JPEG XL?

Hi.

Apologies if this question has been asked before (I’m new to the forum and still finding my way around), but are there any plans to provide JPEG XL support in future versions of RawTherapee?

Keep an eye on this:

JPEG XR (*.jxr) file format support · Issue #6612 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

It also mentions a possible workaround.

EDIT

I read too fast and indeed started comparing apples and oranges…

My bad, sorry!

Er, JPEG XR and JPEG XL are apples and oranges…

There is, however JXL import/export · Issue #6273 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks.

Sorry; I should have provided a bit more context to my question: I was mainly enquiring about JPEG XL export support - I’ll take a look over at GitHub via the link you’ve provided.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

1 Like

I also think that export is especially important, as it can save a lot of space needed by the resulted images.
Import is not as important now as cameras do not save to this format jet.

1 Like

Dark Table seems to support jxl import and export, so one can see how they implemented this.
See:

1 Like

It would seem that it is in many cases faster as well … saving all those CPU cycles and reducing storage/transmission burden could make it a “greener” alternative :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me JXL should be supported because it is one of the most important file formats even if it is not accepted anymore by google or mozilla and so on. The fact is, it is JPEG XL - with enormous powerful capabilities.

2 Likes

Mozilla still supports it. I have recently used it with Firefox Nightly, which should be their future release.