Support for Sony ILCE-7M4?

Any chance we can get support for the Sony A7IV? Raw files are available here.

Probably at some point, but the camera is not even available for sale yet. The pre-production raw samples may be different from later versions. So, patience is virtue :slight_smile:

Raw files from A7 IV exist at raw.pixls.us. The model name in the raw files at Dpreview is wrong.

I got raw support working in darktable by just copy/paste black and white points from A7 III.

The A7M4 has a different sensor to the A7M3, so merely copying the black and white points from the A7M3 is problematic. Adobe have released a new ACR release, which will contain appropriate colour matrix parameters, and you need to take care that the raw data is being cropped in the right places.

DPR’s studio scene will allow for a sorta rough color profile, but their light source isn’t what Morgan considers required for an official included profile.

See Adding Support for New Raw Formats - RawPedia for what RT considers necessary for white/black points, and How to create DCP color profiles - RawPedia for color profiling

@Thanatomanic Europeans have their hands on units already, I’m in the US myself though so we don’t see anything before December 30.

If you don’t have a ColorChecker yourself, you may need to wait until some other European user who does have a ColorChecker submits shots, or for US customers to get their 2nd or 3rd shipment batch. (I did not preorder since I’ll be out of town for the official US ship date, but do intend on ordering when I get home - but that could mean I don’t see a camera until February or later.)

Hi Andy, thanks, I think I only saw the US release date online. If the camera is released and raw.pixls.us already has samples, the actual raw support should be fairly straightforward.
Color profiles are something else, that’s a second step.

I made one from the DPReview studio scene ColorChecker:

(hmmm, interesting, can’t upload .icc files to the forum anymore)

https://glenn.pulpitrock.net/sony_a7iv_matrix-dcamprof.icc

Here’s the DE report:

D03 DE 0.00 DE LCh +0.00 +0.00 +0.00 (gray 70%)
  D02 DE 0.60 DE LCh +0.14 +0.20 +0.55 (gray 80%)
  D04 DE 0.68 DE LCh +0.54 +0.37 +0.17 (gray 50%)
  A04 DE 0.74 DE LCh -0.51 +0.54 -0.05 (yellow-green)
  D01 DE 0.88 DE LCh -0.13 -0.74 -0.46 (white)
  A03 DE 0.97 DE LCh +0.79 -0.07 -0.59 (purple-blue)
  A06 DE 1.04 DE LCh -0.58 -0.16 +0.85 (light cyan)
  D05 DE 1.24 DE LCh +1.23 -0.02 -0.18 (gray 40%)
  A01 DE 1.51 DE LCh +0.19 +0.36 +1.45 (dark brown)
  A02 DE 1.54 DE LCh -0.40 -0.06 -1.49 (red)
  D06 DE 1.57 DE LCh +1.56 -0.14 +0.08 (gray 20%)
  C02 DE 1.67 DE LCh -0.46 -1.14 +1.13 (yellow-green)
  B01 DE 1.98 DE LCh -0.91 -0.56 -1.68 (strong orange)
  B06 DE 2.10 DE LCh -1.44 -1.45 -0.46 (light strong orange)
  B03 DE 2.24 DE LCh +2.19 +0.18 -0.40 (red)
  A05 DE 2.28 DE LCh +2.16 +0.16 -0.62 (purple-blue)
  B04 DE 2.43 DE LCh +2.05 -1.28 -0.24 (dark purple)
  B02 DE 2.59 DE LCh +2.25 -1.40 -0.13 (purple-blue)
  C06 DE 2.62 DE LCh +1.95 -1.04 +1.38 (blue)
  C05 DE 2.84 DE LCh +2.30 -0.54 +1.58 (purple-red)
  C03 DE 2.88 DE LCh +2.63 -0.97 -0.64 (strong red)
  C04 DE 3.01 DE LCh -1.04 -2.78 -0.51 (light vivid yellow)
  C01 DE 3.71 DE LCh +3.55 -1.71 -1.45 (dark purple-blue)
  B05 DE 3.98 DE LCh -2.54 -3.06 +0.19 (light strong yellow-green)

RT uses DCP - in the worst case the OP can temporarily generate a DCP from the studio scene shots though. General software flow is in the link above - but DPR is known to use an LED light source for those, which in general means the shots aren’t considered acceptable for creating a profile that is included as part of an RT release, or at least haven’t been in the past, Morgan really wants a proper daylight and proper tungsten shot.

Here’s a .dcp from the same target:

sony_a7iv_matrix-dcamprof.dcp (981.3 KB)

Can’t they get the basic color matrix and a profile from ACR?

Probably; I just have fun doing these profiles… :laughing:

It’s not just him, I prefer it too. It does provide with a much more general purpose DCP.

@Barugon I just checked with the samples from raw.pixls.us and the ARWs from the A7IV already load just fine. The exception are the lossless compressed raws, but they don’t load for a number of camera’s because (afaik) the decompression algorithm is either not yet available in general, or it’s not implemented in RT.

I just added basic color support based on the DCP profile provided by Adobe Camera Raw: Basic support for Sony ILCE-7M4 in camconst.json · Beep6581/RawTherapee@72ec73c · GitHub

For further improvements, anyone owning the camera can help out by following the steps on the RawPedia links Andy has already provided and provide us (me) with the relevant shots.

3 Likes

The algorithm is not special, it is just lossless JPEG (w/ 4 channels instead of 2 like DNG does), just needs to be implemented (w/ a couple of gotchas). AFAIK only A1 (ILCE-1) and A7 IV (ILCE-7M4) can output it now.

3 Likes

So do I - just wanted to make it clear that it wasn’t merely my personal preference regarding what can/should be included officially.

If lossless ARW isn’t implemented by the time I get an A7M4, I’ll pitch in there… Add it to the list of other things I’ve been procrastinating on with regards to RT contributions… :slight_smile:

The ILCE-1 probably has the same issue.

Awesome! Thanks.

Does RT already employ this for DNG? If so then it should be pretty straight forward to implement it for Sony’s RAWs.

Maybe this?

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks like it wouldn’t be TOO difficult to port over the changes @kmilos mentioned (different channel layout, I’m guessing different predictor, and apparently some funky tiling?)

If it hasn’t been done by the time I get an A7M4, I’ll take a crack at it. Ship date actually moved up a week in the US, which is actually what I was fearing and why I didn’t preorder - I’ll be out of town from later this afternoon to the new year.

Whoops, still haven’t filed my mail hold request…

The predictor is IIRC standard (prev horizontal), and tiling is not funky at all, just that they thought they needed a separate cropping specification for the tiles along the right/bottom edges, while the TIFF spec says that is implicit… So it mostly is about channel de-muxing.

I do have an A7M4 now, and in fact have had one for two months, but for various reasons haven’t had much time to do very much with it.

I swear I’ll at least do the tungsten shot for a full dual-illuminant DCP by the end of this weekend though… Lossless compressed RAW will be harder just because it’s hard to FORC3 myself to deal with dcraw’s weirdo macros.

(longterm, migrating to libraw like ART did might be nice, but I’m not familiar enough with the current architecture to even start on something like that right now…)