Take the high road

I feel this image has a lot more potential than I am able to bring out of it… Lets see what everyone else can do.

If I recall correctly it was taken with a Hexanon 28mm f/3.5 - pay no attention to the exif.

Edited in RT Dev
DSCF4682.RAF (23.5 MB)

DSCF4682-1.jpg.out.pp3 (31.5 KB)

Image is licensed under:

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

1 Like

Yes, this is an interesting photo: the bridge, trees, clouds, and shadows. Here’s my (first) try in dt 4.4.2

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (7.3 KB)

1 Like

My interpretation, focused on highlighting the infrastructure.

darktable 4.5.0~git1369.2987af85-1+10993.1

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (11.7 KB)

6 Likes

My version…

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (18.8 KB)

4 Likes

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (13.3 KB)

DT 4.4.2

3 Likes

Ok, here’s my second try with a little overall brightening with Color Balance RGB. I like the clouds better in my first one, though.

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (7.4 KB)

1 Like

I had a hard time with the clouds too.

1 Like

I like yours quite a bit actually, but I took mine in the kind of the complete opposite direction:

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (32.2 KB)

There’s a bit of stigma surrounding so-called “teal and orange” colour grades thanks to Hollywood, but I’ve nearly always preferred the colour contrast on offer thanks to blue casts in the shadows to a “correction”.

And if I’m drawing attention to the bridge with colour, I don’t want too much information in the sky competing with it.

1 Like

Kinda challenging to decide how / where to take this image. I ended up trying to contrast the industrial character of the bridge with the natural green nature of the surroundings. I probably went too far. The bridge and its treatment is cold, bluish, noisy and high contrast. The trees (and even sky) are warmer and more saturated. The cloudy sky seems to be a bridge between the two worlds, no pun intended.

ART 1.20.2

DSCF4682.RAF.arp (62.9 KB)

2 Likes

My play in GIMP. I have tried to bring out the internal structure of the bridge by changing the contrast and brightness in the darkest areas. Slight increase of saturation in low contrast parts to attempt to show the colours in the concrete without the sky becoming too blue. Cropped, but leaving some of the trees to frame the picture.

1 Like

DSCF4682.RAF.xmp (20.9 KB)

5 Likes

nice image. no monochrome yet? i think the dramatic clouds and all the concrete/steel asks for it:

DSCF4682.RAF.cfg (3.4 KB)

5 Likes

I tried mono but couldn’t make it look decent. Yours does! Maybe I’d do mono more if I learned how to do it better… :slight_smile:

I was waiting for a monochrome :slightly_smiling_face:

My Fun with GIMP

3 Likes