Telephoto Zoom, both lightweight and wallet friendly, for Canon 750D

Gear talk.

I’m pondering telephoto zoom lens for my Canon 750D. The longest reach lens I currently have is the Canon 18-135mm “kit” lens, which is pretty soft at longer focal lengths.

However I think I’d struggle with the weight of something like a canon 70 - 300 F 4 -5.6L lenses (or longer eg 100 to 400).

Any suggestions? I can’t afford to switch to a micro 4/3rds system or similar.

Has anyone used the “kit” Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 lens?

Other possibilities are the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD or the Sigma Equivalent.

The stuff I’ll be doing is basic “wildlife” photography, e.g. birds on feeders etc, so nothing like photographing a lion from 300m away while on Safari, strictly hobby level stuff.

Even if I could afford a high end f/4L super zoom lens, I’d struggle with the weight of it.

Suggestions welcome, unless I am asking for the Moon on a stick?

1 Like

I have the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM (mid-2000s} with my 850D and I’ve never considered it too heavy. IQ isn’t L quality but it’s much better then the 75-300 (which it replaced). Slightly softer at 300 but back off a little and it’s good. AF isn’t supersonic but decent and the IS gives probably 3 stops. There’s also a later “II” model that’s reportedly better in some respects. I think both are in the $150 - $200 USD range used, last I saw.

Additional point - On this lens the end element rotates with focus so it’s a minor annoyance if using a CPL. That may (?) have been fixed with the II update, not sure.

Hi Brian,

I own the Tamron and use it on my 600D. It’s sharp, light, has a fast AF and good IS. But: it’s for sunny days only and the bokeh is rather harsh. For concerts and evening occasions I later bought a Tamron 70-200 2.8 although that’s a really heavy beast to carry around for hours.

For lens tests I can recommend opticallimits.

HTH,
Flössie

1 Like

Lens Reviews also has a huge database. Not all lenses listed under ‘reviews’ were actually reviewed (some just have the marketing blurb), but many popular lenses actually have measurements – look for ‘lab tested’ in the list.
For example, there are lab results here: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Review
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF Review
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO Review

I bought the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens with my first canon camera and used it on-and-off until switching to FujiFilm earlier this year. I found it to be a very lightweight, very capable lens and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to any Canon APS-C user. I’ve also tried the 70-200mm f4 L lens and while it was excellent, I still tended to prefer my 55-250 because of how small and portable it was.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. While a fancy expensive Canon 70-300 F4L would be nice, I need to be realistic in that I’d struggle with the weight of it due to health issues.

So I think I’ll end up going for something like the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD, which I could probably get used for around £180 to £230 depending on condition from a second hand camera retailer online https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/tamron-sp-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-di-vc-usd-canon-ef-fit?page=3

Ok, so I probably won’t get award winning nature images with such a hobby level lens, but for my level of photography, I’ll be more than happy with it!

1 Like

I have a similar 70-300 for my Nikon, and it’s a fun lens to use, for birds as well as for portraits. You’ll enjoy yours, I’m sure.

1 Like

I ended up going for the Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD, a used version with a years warranty for £214 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A few photos using the Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD at a local nature reserve.
The images seem quite soft, but that could have been down to lack of shutter speed due to it being somewhat dull and overcast.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update! I agree these look a little soft, but I do think there’s some motion blur in at least a couple of them. I reckon under better conditions it’d be good!

Hi Brian,

As I said: it’s for sunny days only. :wink:
Joking aside: The VC takes a certain amount of time to get started. When you fully press the shutter too soon, there’ll be blurring.

HTH,
Flössie

1 Like

Ironically I went the other way. I’m in the process of selling my Canon 70-300 to MPB after buying a Canon 70-200L f/4 (non-IS) from them. I’m a landscape shooter and use a tripod so the lack of stabilization isn’t a major deal. If course, all things being equal I’d go for the f/2.8 IS version, but $1200 vs. $390 (used) isn’t equal! Weather sealing would be nice but my camera nor other lens aren’t sealed, so… Besides I don’t like shooting in the rain anyway.

There’s only 3 ounces difference in weight between the two, although adding a collar adds a little more. Then again, the 70-300 can’t even use a collar, so that’s a net gain.

As a follow up, I’m not particularly satisfied with the Tamron 70-300 SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Any time I’ve been out doing some basic wildlife photography, most of the wildlife has just been a bit too far out of reach (apart from tame ducks looking for me to give them food).

Since I’m getting a tax rebate of nearly £800, (thanks to the tax office messing up my tax code following my redundancy from work) I think I may invest in something like a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, £750 or thereabouts used.

Yes, it’ll be a very heavy combination of lens and camera, but it’ll be the only way to get the images I want I think.

1 Like

Used to own the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III which was nice and paper-light, but I didn’t really notice the IQ was not luxurious until it was stolen, and I replaced it by not eating cheeseburgers for a month and purchasing a brick with the money, the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM.

It was a super-fun lens. Example:
240mm:

300mm:

2 Likes

Anyway, following my getting a tax rebate, I’ve ordered a Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary - Canon Fit. Managed to source a new one for not much more than a used one :slight_smile:

What about the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM? Lighter and less expensive than many of the options, but you’d have to be okay with f/5.6 at the long end

2 Likes

I found that the tamron 70-300 I bought, just didn’t have the reach for bird photography. Wildlife photography is something I’m wanting to get into more, so I figured may as well spend a tax rebate and get a Sigma 150-600!

1 Like

Yes that’s the one I recommended earlier. It’s a really nice lens.

Do you find that you can get good background separation/blurring for subject isolation, even with f/4-5.6?

Very much depends on subject/background distances. For example this image seems to have a pretty good separation, or at least good enough for me:

Taken with the 55-250mm STM lens on my 760D

4 Likes