term "halo" in German

Hi guys,

does anybody know what the German term for “halo” is? I need it for an article about image editing. I mean those halos that are produced by shadows and highlights or burring masks in darktable or sometimes by local contrast in RawTherapee.
“Schein” does not seem to be a good translation.

Thanks in advance

Anna

Moinchen!

Was mit Heiligenschein :slight_smile:
Aber hier ist was Duden sagt:

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

1 Like

Vielleicht “Lichthof”?
“Halo” ist laut deutscher Wikipedia ein Effekt bei der Brechung von Licht an Eiskristallen:

(Kenn mich aber nicht wirklich aus, also VORSICHT!)

2 Likes

Yes, I think it’s Lichthof.

Danke

I would definitely use the term “Halo” itself, because it is a common technical term. If you want to use “Lichtschein”, I would add “Halo” in parentheses the first time.

1 Like

:thinking: Oddly specific but not the one she is talking about.

Hello, for the translations of Gimp, gThumb and Art into Dutch, I always use the term “halo”, I think every photographer knows what that means.

1 Like

Yes, the halo explained in Wikipedia is not the one @betazoid is talking about. Nevertheless, these kind of artefacts are in German in general called “Halo” which, I think, is similar to the use of halo n English.

Well apparently the editor does not understad the term “halo” and the article should also be understandable for beginners.

Then I would use “Halo (Lichthof)” or “Halo (Lichtschein)”.

I definitely would not use “Heiligenschein”, since this is a term reserved for a very specific optical effect (see e.g. Marcel Minnaert (1992): Licht und Farbe in der Natur", page311).

Although Halo is to be found in the Duden, what you are talking about is obviously an artefact due to image processing. So the expression should reflect this. I suggest just “Hof”, not “Lichthof”.

Hermann-Josef

1 Like

And since this is an unwanted effect,
how about Unheiligenschein?

1 Like

:smiley:
good one :wink:

@betazoid
You will get quite a few suggestions by googling for

Photoshop schärfen halo

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden