Test of RawTherapee on MacOS 10.14-15, 11, 12β Mojave-Catalina-Big Sur-Monterey (intel code)

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.12_64_5.8-3048-gc901f644a.zip
RawTherapee Development Build for MacOS 10.14+

I have built and tested this in the Monterey beta, but this should also work for Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur.

The dependencies are 98% from brew running on 10.14 Mojave.

However, libomp is using a load command introduced in 10.15 Catalina. Libomp and unwind now load on 10.14 Mojave.

llvmorg-12 libomp crashes during RT options loading. (11.1.0 is used)

Please test / report any successes or failures.
5.9 is almost ready; head over to Issues · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub if you can help out.

Thank you Hiram!
CrashReport.pdf (947.2 KB)

My first impressions:
This build is much more stable with denoising etc. in 1:1 magnification than the previous one, but I did manage to make it crash :grinning: (crash report attached).
Also, the new Spot Removal module does not appear in the Detail group.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! The crash might have been caused by libomp or unwind, both of which I have rebuilt to an early macOS SDK. The bundle has been replaced under the same download link above. See if that still happens to you, or could you specify which actions cause the crash.

Hi, working fine in 11.4. Did not manage to crash it yet, but I will keep trying :grinning:

1 Like

I had to fetch and merge the most recent features; spot removal is now there.
https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.12_64_5.8-3048-gc901f644a.zip

2 Likes

@neversetsun Which macos are you using?

macbook pro mid2014
i5 dual core
macOS 11.4

@neversetsun Thanks for following me over to this thread… are you able to obtain the system crash report?

Testing the macOS 12 Monterey beta… round slider buttons are not grabbable, but do move when the slot is clicked as normal. It has got to be a gtk+ thing going on, either gtk or gtk-mac-integration. This is with homebrew libs. (macports libs don’t launch atm).

a late reply: tried homebrew install gtk gtk-mac-integration, but still reports:
Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  dyld: Using shared cache: 4A889CE9-8D7E-304E-A5F7-84D819B0BF9C
Library not loaded: /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/Frameworks/libgtkmacintegration-gtk3.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/RawTherapee 2.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee
  Reason: image not found

The app can’t handle being renamed, or having duplicates, btw.

i see, thanks
it works now with apple raw :grinning:

Thanks so much for these builds @HIRAM.

I have an issue with this latest build though ( RawTherapee_OSX_10.12_64_5.8-3048-gc901f644a ) where I can no longer select ICC profiles under ‘Color → Output Profile’ that are stored in either in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles or ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles with the exception of profiles in the subfolder /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.

Previously I could select profiles in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles or ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles without issue.

If I revert to a previous version ( RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.8-397-g276ae214f ) then it works fine.

I’m on macOS 10.15.7 (19H1323)

Thanks again, looking forward to your reply.

Hmmm, I will have a look as I am getting a new build environment running.

Thanks @HIRAM , much appreciated!

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_10.14_x86_64_5.8-3034-g8bd9bddfc.zip

This latest build doesn’t exhibit the slider-button non-grabbage issue in Monterey.

Also note that your contribution is optional and useful, as Apples don’t exactly fall off trees.

rbcode

For those following along, https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_10.14_x86_64_5.8-3046-g5268b94cf.zip
the new build has the RgbDenoiseThreads defaulting to 2 instead of 0 to fix a crash occurring in RGB luminance denoise.
To do this I have updated the options keyfile. That means, to have the new default behavior, delete your '~/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee' or if Big Sur+, the ~/Library/Containers/RawTherapee folder before first launch.

Thanks to all who have been working on the dev builds prior to the 5.9 release. I am really excited by the possibilities presented by the local adjustments tab.

I have downloaded the most recent build referenced by Hiram (the one ending in 94cf) and found it to be very unstable with frequent crashes in the new local adjustments tab.

It also crashes when using other tabs.

I have it loaded onto a MacBook Pro (16 inch, 2019) running macOS BigSur 11.4

5.8 has been running very well on the same machine and I uninstalled it prior to loading this dev build.

I followed Hiram’s instruction to remove the RawTherapee application support folder but perhaps I must do something else I am not aware of.

I would be very grateful for some help in getting a dev build to work better on my Mac.

Incidentally I have downloaded the current Windows dev build and found it to be totally stable; sadly my PC is somewhat underpowered which means RawTherapee runs rather slowly on it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Following my post yesterday, I downloaded the previous build
https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_10.14_x86_64_5.8-3034-g8bd9bddfc.zip
and installed successfully with no crashes so far.

I am very happy about this.

My installation process today was slightly different as I followed the readme instruction exactly and copied rawtherapee-cli to the hidden /usr/local/bin location.

I had not done this in previous installation for the following reasons:
I don’t really know what I am doing
The readme text was an rtf and I didn’t know how to read them on mac
The path /usr/local/bin didn’t exist on my machine.

I changed the extension rtf to txt and could then read the instructions contained, I created the bin folder as a subfolder of local folder and pasted rawtherapee-cli there.

All seems to be functioning well. Thanks again to all who have made this possible.