Test RawTherapee 5.6-rc1

@paulmiller as stated in the release notes, interface scaling depends on the font size (as set in RT, which is inherited from your system-wide font size on first run), on DPI, and on display scaling. No scaling occurs when the font size is set to 9pt, DPI is set to 96 (or 72 for macOS) and scaling is set to 1 (100%). Experiment with these parameters.

The Appimage runs fine on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, based on a quick test.

Changing the font sizes to 9 point makes the text look better, but the icons are still much too large. The display resolution is fixed at 144dpi (I’m not sure what GTK thinks it is). I can’t find any setting for display resolution in RawTherapee - is there a hidden setting for it somewhere in a config file?

Changing display scaling in System Preferences doesn’t help (apart from making everything else the wrong size as well).

RawTherapee 5.5’s UI is scaled correctly on the same machine.

No, it’s inherited from your system.

Maybe @HIRAM can help.

@paulmiller meanwhile, please show a screenshot of RawTherapee’s Preferences > General tab, along with screenshots of your macOS font size, DPI and display settings.

The AppImage seems to run fine in up- to-date Arch. However, I added this to my options file:

[GUI]                                                                           
    Favorites=tonecurve;labcurves;

but I don’t see a “favorites” tab. The tools are not removed from their usual place, either. I did restart the program.

Display settings in newer macOS are minimal:

There is no global font size setting in macOS 10.14. I think the option to change that went away after MacOS X 10.9 or so…

Note that changing the main font size from the default of 10 to 9 makes the text go huge until you quit and re-launch RawTherapee. (the Color picker font defaults to 8).

@mbs It works here with the favorites tab. Where’s your config files located? Are you sure you modified the right one?
It should be located in ~/.config/RawTherapee5-5.6-rc1-ai/ if I stand correct.

Yep, that’s the file I modified:

~/.config/RawTherapee5-5.6-rc1-ai/options

This is really weird… so, am I correct that I should see a new tab next to the usual Exposure, Detail, Color, etc, tabs?

OK, I figured it out.

RawTherapee overwrites the options file when it exits. What happened was that I modified the file, then restarted RawTherapee. It overwrote my changes on exit.

If I modify the file while RT is closed, it works fine. I’d suggest adding a note to the wiki warning against modifying the options file while RT is running.

@mbs done.
Favorites Tab - RawPedia

1 Like

@mbs This is true for most apps but it still stumps me once in a while. :blush:

@paulmiller If you option-click on the Resolution: :radio_button: Scaled button you will get a list of all the supposedly supported resolutions for your monitor. There may be a few settings marked (HiDPI) that have the effect of making things larger generally, but depending on your resolution available may not be useful with RawTherapee. For instance, when I switch to 960x540 HiDPI mode, RT is too large to use. My native resolution is only 1080p.

I added a link to the Windows build in my first post.

Thank you @gaaned92 @HIRAM @Carmelo_DrRaw for making the builds!

1 Like

The only options are like this (option click or no option click makes no difference):

The default setting is “looks like 1680x1050”, the more space setting is “looks like 1920x1200”. Using the “more space” setting there is more room on screen, so more of the RawTherapee UI fits in, but the icons are still too big. All the “larger text” settings are worse.

This is the top left of the Editor in “more space”:

I don’t actually need a solution to this (I mostly use darktable or PhotoFlow), I’m just trying the build to be helpful.

Tried AppImage on Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2 64 bit.

1. Preferences tab takes a lot to show up (read 7-8 seconds)

2. Changing font size takes another pair of seconds ( i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz )

3. Even for me icons are too big, i have tried changing font size to 9, but icons are still much bigger than 5.5 (and it isn’t good since my main monitor is “only” 1680x1050, and my notebook is 1024x768)

I have tried a pair of developments and everything was fine.

Thank you in advance.

Runs well in Windows 7. Same console issue as 5.5 but can live with that.

I was using a nightly build which crashes every time I try batch processing this specific Nikon D600 image. sunset,enghave.nef.pp3 (11.8 KB)
Sadly this version also crashes to desktop the same way. I don’t see any error messages anywhere, it just processes for a few seconds and then goes >poof<.

Hi @JoaCHIP,
Are you on Win or Linux or …?
Could you also please upload the .nef?
I am quite suspicious of the comma character
you have between sunset and enghave…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

@mannikon what is the issue, when does the console window open?

Only opens when right clicking image and then open with.
Small discussion on this a few weeks back.