Tethering on Linux with automaticly applied presets / overexposure warning / histogram

Right now Iam testing linux (arch with gnome) and studio photography.

I want an software, where
(1) I can connect my camera via usb to my computer.
(2) After I took the picture with my camera, I want that image automatically shown on my screen
(3) with applied presets (exposure, contrast, white balance, highlights, b/w, …(basic raw stuff)) and
(4) with an active exposure warning and a histogram.

Entangle seems to lack the raw converter,
Darktable seems to lack the feature to automatically adding a style to the newest picture taken with tethering? Also no exposure Zebra :frowning: Or am I just too stupid to find it? :innocent:

Does anyone has an idea if something like this exist in linux? Or work in progress?
If needed I can show videos of examples of the wanted workflow (capture one or phocus).

I also thought about an workaround. Please tell me if you see a major error before I start trying :grinning:
I dont mind expanding my kind of basic programming skills but maybe there is a major flaw in my “design”.

• I take a tethered picture in the background (maybe just with gphoto2),
  • open it by hand with darktable, do my basic edit.
  • I save the style or parts of the XMP file as kind of a “master xmp file”.
  • Now I need a script to watch the tethered picture folder and if a new .cr2 file appears, I want to create a matching XMP file from the “master xmp file” and automatically open it with darktable (performance problems?)

Thanks in advance for reading :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

Hi @Markus did you check the Youtube video
“Linux and Mac Tethering made easy. DIY Tethering with gPhoto2 - build your own” by Keifer Hunniford Photography

He used gphoto2 with custom simple scripts to do a basic tethering but really useful for me. I must agree with your comment Tethering with Darktable is not really usable (or friendy) for me.

I’m interesting also by others users how they play with tethering on Linux !

3 Likes

Last year I was working on a darktable lua script that would monitor a directory and import any new image, displaying it in darkroom view. At that time the Lua API didn’t support displaying an image in darkroom view, so I had to extend it. I had the script working with the development version of darktable, then set it aside waiting for the API change to get released. The script doesn’t apply a style on import, but that would be a trivial addition. You could set the clipping and over/under exposure indicators on in darkroom and that way you would have the image displayed with a style applied, exposure indicators and a histogram.

I pulled the script up tonight to see what it’ll take to finish it. Give me a week or so and I should have brought it up to date and added the style application.

4 Likes

Wow that sounds great. Thank you!!
Take all the time you need.