The charm of early spring and snowless winter landscapes

You might possibly find some inspiration from a poem by the Norwegian Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, an important European writer in the latter part of the 19th century, (Nobel literary prize in 1903), about April – as April then was climatically much as March is now. My quick and dirty translation with total disregard for the original rhyme and rhythm, (you might find some better translation to German from old):

"I chose April 1)

In that the old falls,
in that the new finds foot;
it causes some hubbub,–
though peace is not the best,
but that there is something one will. 2&3)

I chose April,
because it storms, brooms,
because it smiles, melts,
because it owns abilities,
because it powers wrecks,-- *
in that the summer is born!"

1. This was some irony as the story is that 12 authors where each challenged to write a poem about one month each, and when Bjørnstjerne came to the table, there was only April left.
  2. These latter two lines has become a saying in Norwegian language.
  3. Personally I’m fairly reserved towards this saying, as I during a lifetime have become quite skeptical towards those who will too much in disregard of peace … :wink:

*Edit: More correctly understandable, I think: “because it wrecks powers”

1 Like

At least that part can be very easily powered by photovoltaics, where the highest output matches the highest demand. Heating in European winters, not so much.

Weeelll, photovoltaic systems actually works quite well in cold climate.
The nice thing is that the efficiency of the cells increases with lower temperatures – when there is the highest demand … One is now i.a. considering using photovoltaic systems for energy supply on Svalbard (Spitzbergen). (Although I do believe that they may not be the only answer in the arctic mid-winter where there isn’t any daylight to talk about.)

I think these images, although not the rote social media type, are elegant in their own right. Nowadays, we are so enthralled with stimulus and extreme views that we forget about the sublime in-between. What I see is nature at rest. Fallow land does not mean it is barren or stark.

2 Likes