The charm of early spring and snowless winter landscapes

I recently made a hike in the so called Naturpark Mühlviertel in Upper Austria and I am quite pleased with the result.
I am thinking of writing an article about “The charm/sexyness of early spring and snowless winter landscapes” and would like to collect some thoughts here because this is a topic whose essence is not so easy to express with words.

I mean… this season, early spring is not really a “sexy” season. The trees have no leaves, neither green nor yellow or red, and everything appear to look kind of “dead”. And there is no snow either. So at first sight, this kind of landscape seems to be the most unphotogenic. Yet I think there is something that is fascinating about these landscapes, although it’s clear that they are not the kinds of photos that will be very successful on social media. I think they somehow remind me of some works by Egon Schiele, although in general I don’t like Schiele’s art. I mean works like this:

Of course, this (Schiele) is an extreme example.

I am not really sure what this kind of landscape expresses, how one could describe it with words. Do you have any idea?

I think it somehow has to do with the fact that the nature seems to be dead, but it isn’t because she will be colorful again. So I think it kind of has to do with hope?

And maybe… these pictures also express that being sad is part of human/intelligent life. Always being happy is not possible/normal.

Also… I think it’s challenging to make a nice picture of a subject that is not actually nice or pretty.

8 Likes

One way to approach this subject is to cover why the winter landscape is already snowless at this time of year. Here in central Canada, we are experiencing the same thing, and it’s cause for concern. Back in my university days, I did a cross country ski workout daily for about 3.5 months of the year. Now, we are getting only about 10 days in the winter where snow is on the ground.

I realize that you were probably asking from a more artistic angle. Nature is getting ready to burst out, the grass is already green, and we are eagerly awaiting the appearance of fresh green foliage.

2 Likes

You are right, I didn’t think of that.

1 Like

Saw this reported recently

1 Like

Also, this. Only 80,000 left in California, but 500,000 in Britain. Interesting history. Fashion for growing them from seed in mid-1800s so they’re smaller at the moment but should grow to the same size as those in the US eventually.

3 Likes

I think you guys are criticizing that I am trying to see something positive about climate change?

1 Like

I think it’s more like we hatched a cuckoo discussion inside your thread and pushed all the other chicks out of the nest

1 Like

I certainly didn’t intend to criticize, and I’m sorry if I caused you to feel that you were being criticized. Tony got it right!

@TonyBarrett @elGordo I have no problem with criticism. I did not initially think of climate change in this context but it absolutely needs to be mentioned.

1 Like

Well, actually, I think I just realized that “winter without snow” would be a good title for an art exhibition/research project.

3 Likes

Heh. Where I live (southeast US), “winter without snow” is the norm. We get significant snow about every five years or so.

3 Likes

What sprang to my mind (before reading your question) is, “Spring is near, winter is distant”. Literally.

1 Like

For some minimal value of “significant”, I’d add. At least here in the deep central southern US.

1 Like

I think the white winter wonderland is more a product of the tourism industry than anything else.

Especially in Austria.

Sure, the climate change is real and saving a ton of heating material per season isn’t that bad - both for the bank account and in reducing CO2 emissions.

Just my 2cts.

1 Like

I remember an old “global warming” documentary. The interviewer asked an old Eskimo what he thought about global warming. He replied, “I like it.” The interviewer, acting shocked, asked him why. “Because it’s warmer.”

4 Likes

For me it was Heidi or Sound of Music…

Probably a cultural shortfall on my account that I didn’t think of that… :stuck_out_tongue:

In southern Germany we had some serious snowfall in the beginning of December last year. We had just moved here from northern Germany, were snow and hills were non-existant, so the kids excitedly asked for a sled for Christmas. Santa Claus obliged.

Alas, not a single snowflake has since graced our new home. Be that from climate change or otherwise, it did bum us out.

There is a certain Icelandic, barren charm to a snowless winter landscape. I especially like how it’s much easier to photograph birds without the foliage getting in the way. But by now, I’ve had my share of browns and dirty green. It’s time for spring.

2 Likes

Got a certain amount of inspiration for Winter from : fertile darkness

time of rest, restoration, all to play for

Weeelll, except, regrettably, that the world uses more energy on air-conditioning and other cooling systems, than on heating, that is …