the darktable 3.0 video series

It seems you are a man. Proof is therefore made these stats are garbage. Thanks for your participation.

1 Like

Yea, I am kind of not surprized. Apparently I behave like a man in the internet… although I don’t watch photos of women or so. Or maybe I am just rounded away, maybe 0,00x% of your viewers are not male and between 35 and 65.
Anyway, I think it is interesting.

No, it’s just not you. I have asked around, I’m not the only one having male-only channel stats (although Krita channel has 20% women in their stats), and I know for sure some women in there. Something is wrong in Youtube analytics.

Yeah, many people might be not logged in when they watch YT. And they might use privacy measures in their browsers, e.g. Privacy Badger, NoScript, uMatrix, etc.

So there is nothing to do as far as the number of female users is concerned

2nd video on Filmic just shot. I got 2h of footage, will that be too long ?

5 Likes

In my honest opinion the more the better. I personally find the technical information very valuable. Short videos of complex topics never work. I personally do not mind 2h educational videos far too many are far too short.

2 Likes

For me it’s ok, I can pause if it’s too much and resume later.

1 Like

Ok, you asked for it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I personally like it split up.

Similar to what Blender Guru does: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgH9vCr47kSS5W8PEJBNIiwK

2 Likes

To all the people who have praised my pedagogy skills on the first video: you have put a lot of pressure on my shoulders to live by that standards on the following ones. I had to record the second one twice, it’s finally encoding, but fatigue is beginning to show as my English is becoming more random.

6 Likes

There:

2.1) Filmic RGB: remap any dynamic range in darktable 3.0

11 Likes

Thanks for the very detailed insights :+1:

Just tried your approach using the exposure module first to get the midtones where I want ignoring clipped highlights and appliying filmic RGB after that.

That gave me a nice result. First it was a bit milky but after adding local contrast and haze removal it became very good.

After filmic I continued with denoising and sharpening when I had a very strange behavior: I used the highpass module with blending mode ‘overlay’ to sharpen the image. This module totally flattened the highlights as if they were clipped (see the dog’s forehead and the histogram). Afterwards I changed highlight reconstruction without any change.

A check of the pixelpipe showed that the highpass module was between exposure and the filmic module. I moved the highpass module behind filmic and everything was fine again, see video below:

2 Likes

What if you change the blending mode to addition ? Overlay is grounded in the display-referred workflow (assuming grey = 50%, whereas grey = 18% or less in the scene-referred workflow), so it might not work at this place of the pipe. Also, the high-pass does frequential operations (that behave better in linear) but in Lab (which is not linear), so it’s kind of a mess. Bottom line: do what you can, but you can’t win.

Next video available:

2.2) darktable 3.0 filmic explained to users of darktable 2.6

3 Likes

‘Addition’ made a total mess out of the image.

If the module works in the displey-referred workflow, I generally should move it behind filmic. As far as I understand filmic compresses the data into the display-referred area and therefore all modules that work display-referred should be behind filmic.
Am I right?

No. The module works in whatever workflow. But what it does is linked to light emissions, and therefore works better if performed in scene-linear. Yet it works in a display-referred space (Lab). So… anywhere you put it will be wrong. Just pick the least bad.

Or use the contrast equalizer (checkout the deblurring presets).

1 Like

Thank you, this was most helpful.

@anon41087856 thank you for the excellent videos very helpful. Can’t wait to see the tone equalizer video. I have been mainly using it by making a subtle u shape seems to look nice in my landscapes. Not sure why.

For the most part it seems I have been using filmic reasonably well but I learned much that clarified things which will make me fight less with it and possibly get quicker better results. I was avoiding the look settings now I don’t have to now that I know what they do.

I do have a question in your first filmic specific video you mentioned deprecated modules in dt. Is there a list of such modules for potential avoidance of use?

If not it may be feasible to make such a list. Would be easier then marking them all in tooltips and such.

Deprecated modules are not shown anymore in UI for fresh edits, and will appear only for old edits using them (so you can change the settings or disable them).

1 Like