the darktable 3.0 video series

From Wikipedia:

Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without recourse to conscious reasoning.[2][3]
[…]
In more-recent psychology, intuition can encompass the ability to know valid solutions to problems and decision making. For example, the recognition primed decision (RPD) model explains how people can make relatively fast decisions without having to compare options. Gary Klein found that under time pressure, high stakes, and changing parameters, experts used their base of experience to identify similar situations and intuitively choose feasible solutions. Thus, the RPD model is a blend of intuition and analysis. The intuition is the pattern-matching process that quickly suggests feasible courses of action. The analysis is the mental simulation, a conscious and deliberate review of the courses of action.[31]
[…]
According to the works of Daniel Kahneman, intuition is the ability to automatically generate solutions without long logical arguments or evidence.[35]

From https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2b46/eb90aee800358d92540db1665493b40ee77b.pdf :

The thesis proposed in this review is that intuition is a phenomenological and behavioral correlate of knowledge obtained through implicit learning. This claim is assessed in two ways. In the first part of this review, an explication of the conceptual correspondence between implicit learning and intuition, with particular emphasis on social intuition, is laid out. In the second and third sections, evidence suggesting that the basal ganglia are the neuroanatomical bases of both implicit learning and intuition is reviewed.

From Intuition, women managers and gendered stereotypes | Emerald Insight :

Results indicate that there is no difference between female and male managers in terms of intuitive orientation, that female non‐managers are more analytical (less intuitive) than male non‐managers and more analytical than female managers. This lack of support for stereotypic characterisation of women managers and women in general as being more intuitive than their male equivalents is discussed within the context of structural and gendered cultural perspectives on behaviour in organisations.

From https://philarchive.org/archive/ADLDMA :

Our results do not indicate that women have different intuitions than men about this set of philosophical thought experiments.
[…]
However, we asked the students whether they had taken (or were taking) anyphilosophy courses. We found no significant differences (using independent-samplest-tests) between the minority of students who had philosophy course(s) and those who hadn’t.

This goes on for hundreds of pages : Google Scholar

In a nutshell, intuition is how to bypass reason to come to a fast decision while doing high-speed pattern matching and avoid rational deliberations, for cases where you need a preliminary direction or can’t afford the time. It’s more about immediate survival than deep understanding, let alone science and structures splitting. And there is no evidence (in recent studies, possibly less biased than some stinking stuff from the 80’s and earlier) that women behave differently at it than men.

1 Like

Did you check the youtube-stats?

1 Like

Yes, but I won’t have the stats for today before tomorrow.

So? Am I am man or a woman?

It seems you are a man. Proof is therefore made these stats are garbage. Thanks for your participation.

1 Like

Yea, I am kind of not surprized. Apparently I behave like a man in the internet… although I don’t watch photos of women or so. Or maybe I am just rounded away, maybe 0,00x% of your viewers are not male and between 35 and 65.
Anyway, I think it is interesting.

No, it’s just not you. I have asked around, I’m not the only one having male-only channel stats (although Krita channel has 20% women in their stats), and I know for sure some women in there. Something is wrong in Youtube analytics.

Yeah, many people might be not logged in when they watch YT. And they might use privacy measures in their browsers, e.g. Privacy Badger, NoScript, uMatrix, etc.

So there is nothing to do as far as the number of female users is concerned

2nd video on Filmic just shot. I got 2h of footage, will that be too long ?

5 Likes

In my honest opinion the more the better. I personally find the technical information very valuable. Short videos of complex topics never work. I personally do not mind 2h educational videos far too many are far too short.

2 Likes

For me it’s ok, I can pause if it’s too much and resume later.

1 Like

Ok, you asked for it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I personally like it split up.

Similar to what Blender Guru does: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgH9vCr47kSS5W8PEJBNIiwK

2 Likes

To all the people who have praised my pedagogy skills on the first video: you have put a lot of pressure on my shoulders to live by that standards on the following ones. I had to record the second one twice, it’s finally encoding, but fatigue is beginning to show as my English is becoming more random.

6 Likes

There:

2.1) Filmic RGB: remap any dynamic range in darktable 3.0

11 Likes

Thanks for the very detailed insights :+1:

Just tried your approach using the exposure module first to get the midtones where I want ignoring clipped highlights and appliying filmic RGB after that.

That gave me a nice result. First it was a bit milky but after adding local contrast and haze removal it became very good.

After filmic I continued with denoising and sharpening when I had a very strange behavior: I used the highpass module with blending mode ‘overlay’ to sharpen the image. This module totally flattened the highlights as if they were clipped (see the dog’s forehead and the histogram). Afterwards I changed highlight reconstruction without any change.

A check of the pixelpipe showed that the highpass module was between exposure and the filmic module. I moved the highpass module behind filmic and everything was fine again, see video below:

2 Likes

What if you change the blending mode to addition ? Overlay is grounded in the display-referred workflow (assuming grey = 50%, whereas grey = 18% or less in the scene-referred workflow), so it might not work at this place of the pipe. Also, the high-pass does frequential operations (that behave better in linear) but in Lab (which is not linear), so it’s kind of a mess. Bottom line: do what you can, but you can’t win.

Next video available:

2.2) darktable 3.0 filmic explained to users of darktable 2.6

3 Likes

‘Addition’ made a total mess out of the image.

If the module works in the displey-referred workflow, I generally should move it behind filmic. As far as I understand filmic compresses the data into the display-referred area and therefore all modules that work display-referred should be behind filmic.
Am I right?