The future for Darktable

I saw some disturbing news that there are some thoughts about withdrawing the windows and mac versions of Darktable. That made me very worried if I dare to go on with my migration from Lightroom to Darktable and cancelling my subscription at Adobe. I would be very pleased to read some clarifications from the people in charge…
For me it would be OK to pay for Darktable if we could get some long-term directions… What I cant have is uncertainty about the future for all my photos.

Where did you see that?

Hi, I am not a darktable dev but I am surprised to hear that the Windows version won’t be maintained any more. I don’t know anything about that. What I know, however, is the fact that Apple has deprecated OpenCL which darktable needs. So darktable does not run very well on new Macs. And it is difficult to do anything about that. But it’s not darktable’s fault but Apple’s.
I think it would be a mistake to not maintain the Windows version any more because great numbers of users keep flowing to darktable at the moment.

1 Like

That was an April Fools joke.

1 Like

Bad joke…

5 Likes

Actually a very good joke. Even after a month it has consequences … :wink:

Well, let’s wait a year and make the same about A…e L…R…m :wink: I bet, lawyers will chime in…

I fail to see the fun in it… my bad…lol

1 Like

I started with Linux only because of darktable.

Some darktable tutorials in Swedish if you want the basic. Have fun!

Once you go Linux you never come back

6 Likes

Well actually I did use Linux like 20 years ago and went back to Windows a few years later. But then I came back to Linux again.

My (very simplified view) is that if something goes wrong on Linux you can find something on a forum somewhere to fix it.
If something goes wrong on windows you often have to just put up with it and it might get fixed eventually.
Unfortunately I found the first option sucked up a lot of time that I would rather spend doing other things, which is why I (slightly reluctantly) abandoned it.

As I’ve mentioned before, we have very few Windows or Mac developers on the darktable project (I hesitated to even add an “s” to the word developer there). Linux therefore remains by far the best OS to run darktable in.

1 Like

I am sure it works better, and I fully support everything behind linux, so one day, I may return. Just takes time and unfortunately too much work stuff that depends on windose at present …

I actually have the opposite: I started with darktable when it became available on Windows.

Even if there are very few developers running Windows, in my experience darktable works extremely well on that OS too. So, hurrah for cross-platform development.

4 Likes

I will be transitioning to Linux anyway found out my laptop is fully compatible last night through some testing but I find darktable runs really well on Windows minus lack of printing. For that matter gimp RT and dt still all perform amazing. I do feel however it is time to move to a full FOSS workflow especially with how impressive dt has become. The workflow feels so much better then a few years ago I like it.

1 Like

Windows was an april fool’s joke. MacOS was also officially april fool’s but in a discussion 2-3 months ago regarding dt on M1 hardware, it sounded like the person maintaining MacOS builds was getting really annoyed with Apple, so there is some element of truth to MacOS being at-risk:

The Mac build for x86 is fine, but nobody has m1 hardware yet. Please don’t spread fud like this.

How is quoting a post by darktable’s current lead developer “spreading FUD”?

While the thread was originally discussing M1 support, that is not directly relevant to that particular post - which outlined non-architecture-specific ongoing issues with MacOS support (such as open cross-platform standards like OpenCL being deprecated in favor of proprietary ones.)

1 Like

You didn’t quote anyone, you gave a summary full of weasel words.