The future for Darktable

My (very simplified view) is that if something goes wrong on Linux you can find something on a forum somewhere to fix it.
If something goes wrong on windows you often have to just put up with it and it might get fixed eventually.
Unfortunately I found the first option sucked up a lot of time that I would rather spend doing other things, which is why I (slightly reluctantly) abandoned it.

As I’ve mentioned before, we have very few Windows or Mac developers on the darktable project (I hesitated to even add an “s” to the word developer there). Linux therefore remains by far the best OS to run darktable in.

1 Like

I am sure it works better, and I fully support everything behind linux, so one day, I may return. Just takes time and unfortunately too much work stuff that depends on windose at present …

I actually have the opposite: I started with darktable when it became available on Windows.

Even if there are very few developers running Windows, in my experience darktable works extremely well on that OS too. So, hurrah for cross-platform development.

4 Likes

I will be transitioning to Linux anyway found out my laptop is fully compatible last night through some testing but I find darktable runs really well on Windows minus lack of printing. For that matter gimp RT and dt still all perform amazing. I do feel however it is time to move to a full FOSS workflow especially with how impressive dt has become. The workflow feels so much better then a few years ago I like it.

1 Like

Windows was an april fool’s joke. MacOS was also officially april fool’s but in a discussion 2-3 months ago regarding dt on M1 hardware, it sounded like the person maintaining MacOS builds was getting really annoyed with Apple, so there is some element of truth to MacOS being at-risk:

The Mac build for x86 is fine, but nobody has m1 hardware yet. Please don’t spread fud like this.

How is quoting a post by darktable’s current lead developer “spreading FUD”?

While the thread was originally discussing M1 support, that is not directly relevant to that particular post - which outlined non-architecture-specific ongoing issues with MacOS support (such as open cross-platform standards like OpenCL being deprecated in favor of proprietary ones.)

1 Like

You didn’t quote anyone, you gave a summary full of weasel words.

Forum bug on mobile? Because I explicitly linked a post by Aurelien. Is it not appearing for you?

1 Like

I see the link, but that’s not a quote. AP doesn’t do Mac development. There are no quotes in your post.

1 Like

On desktop, a link quotes the post being linked.

1 Like

I know how the forum software works, you can stop being pedantic, thank you.

I think Mac and darktable is a serious issue.
There is vkdt, but I don’t know when that will have a feature set that is comparable to darktable, and even when it is usable, I just don’t see all darktable users suddently switching to vkdt.
If I see things correctly, users are flowing to darktable since some time in great numbers, especially younger users. I think it is meanwhile one of the most popular photography apps. And it is among the top 3 raw developers with Lightroom and C1. I think I know more darktable users than C1 users.
I don’t know. Maybe Mac users might switch to Linux?
Anyway, I think the Mac OS build should be maintained as long as possible.
How does darktable run on a fast Mac without a GPU? Maybe that’s possible?

Btw, I agree, the Windows build seems to work fine.

Seriously?

And the actual “quote” of the article he “linked”:

2 Likes

So 3rd hand (now) information. Let’s stop. There is a Mac build. There are nightly Mac builds from members of the community here on the forum. The x86 build works. It runs under Rosetta on m1 hardware. It compiles on ARM (non-M1).

I can’t speak for anyone supporting/developing osx or windows specific stuff within the darktable community. But - I have never heard of or read about any plans stopping support for those platforms.

There is just a bit of frustration. a) how apple does some things. BTW there has been a huge amount of work in dt about improving performance if no gpu is available! b) Also the dt community might be a very good place for people knowing osx or windows! Come on!

5 Likes

Support for M1 may be coming soon™ for the Linux kernel.

3 Likes

For the longest while, a year or two, “Windozers” (including myself) have been on bended knee asking for help in fixing the bug preventing tethering from working on Windows computers. When you tether, the resulting file is always corrupted. I guess there aren’t enough Windows developers around.

This isn’t the place for random complaints or bug reports. The original question has been answered.