The Konica Hexanon AR 50mm f/1.4 is a jewel of a lens

I absolutely adore this lens, manufactured in December of 1973. I managed to get one in close to mint condition on eBay for €68 including shipping from Japan.

Adapted to SONY a7R.
Developed with RawTherapee and post-processed with GIMP

19 Likes

Never thought I’d actually consider such, but I like the (damned) bokeh… :laughing:

1 Like

I’m not sure what to understand. Do you usually not like bokeh? Or this specific kind?

Oh, I just don’t pay much attention to it in my particular shooting, always seemed to me to be utterly secondary to the subject. But, I like the patterns it makes in your images…

1 Like

Really nice images…
…though I thought you’d shoot more beer… :wink:

1 Like

There are some really nice shots here and I love the bokeh!

1 Like

Curious what made you go for that lens over something modern? The cost? Shots look great, very nicely done.

1 Like

It was definitely the cost.

All of my seven lenses are 40-something year old vintage manual lenses.

What I paid for all of them is the price of a modern 1.4/50, if not less.

Only later was when I fell in love with the images they make, their beautiful imperfections, the fantastic ergonomics. The whole shooting experience is what I adore.

So now, if money was no object, I am almost confident I would not buy a modern lens but yet another vintage one.

Perhaps a 1.2/85mm.

4 Likes

Lovely dreamy set. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

The pleasure is mine.

Impressive bokeh from your results. Kudos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, right? I’m a dirty, old bokeh whore.

2 Likes

The bokeh in the background of the lady with lipstick and the blurred foreground creates a sense of “nestling in the woods”. Fantastic composition! Well done! What aperture did you use to get this effect? Wide open (f1.4)?

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words.

All shots except first and last were taken wide open at f/1.4

:+1:
Well done!

1 Like