The Royal Photographic Society Journal

The Royal Photographic Society Journal

Who let us in here?

The Journal of the Photographic Society is the journal for one of oldest photographic societies in the world: the Royal Photographic Society. First published in 1853, the RPS Journal is the oldest photographic periodical in the world (just edging out the British Journal of Photography by about a year).

So you can imagine my doubt when confronted with an email about using some material from pixls.us for their latest issue…

If the name sounds familiar to anyone it may be from a recent post by Joe McNally who is featured prominently in the September 2016 issue. He was also just inducted as a fellow into the society!

RPS Journal 2016-09 Cover

It turns out my initial doubts were completely unfounded, and they really wanted to run a page based off one of our tutorials. The editors liked the Open Source Portrait tutorial. In particular, the section on using Wavelet Decompose to touch up the skin tones:

RPS Journal 2016-11 PD
Yay Mairi!

How cool is that? I actually searched the archive and the only other mention I can find of GIMP (or any other F/OSS) is from a “Step By Step” article written by Peter Gawthrop (Vol. 149, February 2009). I think it’s pretty awesome that we can promote a little more exposure for Free Software alternatives. Especially in more mainstream publications and to a broader audience!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://pixls.us/blog/2016/11/the-royal-photographic-society-journal/
24 Likes

Congratulations! That is great – both the article and also the opportunity to reach out.

1 Like

Wow! You’re a big timer now, it is official. :wink:

1 Like

Congrats! It must feel great to be published in such a well regarded journal :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats!

1 Like

While I appreciate the sentiments, remember this is for helping to get the word out about Free Software further - so if anyone knows of other places where things might be mentioned, showcased, or talked about - please let me know so I can help promote it as well! :smiley:

1 Like

Great to see Open Source being acknowledged in mainstream photography.

I am now a “judge” for club photography in our region of the UK and whenever I visit camera clubs I always say a few words about Open Source editors, in particular Rawtherapee, Darktable and GIMP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful! Very exciting!

1 Like

Great ! This recognition is long overdue, both for GIMP and Pat! Good to see that good guys do get acknowledged in this world: :slight_smile: Congrats Pat!

1 Like

Congratulations. good work deserves a reward.

1 Like

Great. This bits always make my day :slight_smile:
Congratulations, Pat.

1 Like

Dang, that’s a really nice layout of your process. I congratulate you sir. Nice job.

I’m been hoping to use the wavelet deconstruction in the GIMP ever since I read your article, but I’m having a tough time getting my head out of Darktable. I’ve been thinking about trying a similar process by applying a blur and removing the color channel, then modifying that as I see fit with spot removal and tonal curves and such. Ultimately exporting and converting to an SVG and applying to the original with an appropriate blend mode.

Does this process interest you? It breaks the non-destructive nature of Darktable, but might be nice to compare to the wavelet decomposition technique.

2 Likes

English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistake. It could be possible some sort of non-desctructive pseudo-wavelet deconstrucction process with DT? I mean using, for example, some pipeline combination of highpass and lowpass layer filters in addition to blending modes and the spot removal tool or/and the parametric masks. I am a beginner with GIMP and DT, so maybe I just have written a nonsense.

Eduardo your english is excellent :slight_smile:

You can use the watermark module just like the spot remover. It’ll work with any SVG. But you won’t be able to go back in the future unless you keep both file versions together. Hmm, now I getting excited about this.

Congratulations!

@harry_durgin I’ve experimented with the equalizer modul in darktable combined with masks. Not bad, straight forward and especially non-destructive.

1 Like

Do you mean many instances of the equalizer module such as every wavelet layer in GIMP? If so, how can the options masks be used progressively with the greatest possible rigor to fine-tune or delimit every wavelet level? With opacity stops?, with feathers?
Thanks in advance.

This is just really amazing congratulation. You right the more we talk and especially produce great images the better.

1 Like

I missed this when it was originally posted. Congrats Pat! Good article and good visibility for open source tools.

1 Like