The Sycamore Gap Tree

Not one of mine, an iconic tree cut down in an act of mindless vandalism.

3 Likes

This is just sad. Hope they can plant a new one(that manages to flourish), even if it will never be the same.

It is. The sycamore was a veritable sapling, near to us, we have on remaining oak tree in Birnam wood, which may have been about when Macbeth was a lad. We also have the Fortingall yes, which may be anything up to 5,000 years old. I hate to think of a vandal taking a chain saw to either of these.

Birnam Oak

The Fortingall yew

4 Likes

Obvious to say, but such a mind boggling act of nihilistic vandalism.

4 Likes

Beautiful trees, it upsets me how little respect people have for everything natural around them.

We also have some thousand year old trees here in Portugal, mostly olive trees, and it would be equally sad to lose any of them.

1 Like

The last I saw (last night, here in US time) a 16 year-old had been arrested and was ā€œcooperating with the investigationā€, IIRC. Any further developments?

1 Like

Released on bail, no charges yet. Police still investigating

1 Like

What kind of b***** idiot would do thatā€¦ glad itā€™s being investigated. :rage:

On the bright side, at least there was already plenty of good images of it!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Totally different context, but here longleaf pine is a lumber crop. Theyā€™re typically 30 years old when harvested. I guess that would make them barely conceived by European standardsā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least something can grow to replace it. This isnā€™t always the case.

1 Like

They are hoping that the stump can be coppiced.

2 Likes