Thinking of replacing my trusty old Yungnuo

Has anyone worked with these devices? My speedlite needs replacing after many years of service.

Godox V1
Godox AD200

Would love to hear thoughts about your experience. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @mgco,

No, not really — but I own two of Godox’
smaller flashguns (V860II F, and TT350 F) plus
their X Pro F trigger, and that setup works just fine.
A plus is that the firmware is update-able.

Magsaya ka!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Thanks Claes!

Like @Claes, I’ve also used both the TT350F and the X1T-F — great bits of kit, in my opinion.

I haven’t used the V1 nor the AD200, but I’ve always found the Godox brand in general to be great value for money.

Thanks martbetz!

I also had a trusty old Yungnuo but it eventually stopped working. I replaced it with the Flashpoint TT685C. My understanding is that Flashpoint is just a rebranded Godox with Adorama’s warranty/support (which could be useful to have). It has worked well for me since and even works well with my Yungnuo wireless transmitter/receiver

That is quite interesting @garibaldi
Any chance you use the RF-602? I’m sure the Godox ones are full of up to date features, but I still like the simplicity of this small trigger.

Yongnuo_Trigger

I use the YN622C along with the YN622C-TX. I agree about not needing new features - the above model has support for multiple channels and groups which is way more complexity than I need, so I am not motivated to upgrade at all since my needs are so basic.

Godox has a solid reputation and a lot of fanboys. You are not making an error if you invest in Godox flashes.

I have snatched a lot of Metz flashes from Ebay. Very often flashes get buyed for a special event (marriage, anniversary etc.) and then sleep in some dark photo-bag for a number of years before showing up on the used market. There are three possible problems with used flashes:

• Old batteries bleed acid and ruin the contacts. This is serious and a reason not to buy this particular flash.
  • Capacitors can eventually age and need replacement. A tenner pays for the part and work. It’s a 10 minute job with a soldering iron.
  • The bulb can die. Replacements are easy to find and - again - a ten minute job. The bulbs last 2’000 to 10’000 discharges … a used one could outlive a new one, depending on how it was used. Full throttle all the time or 1/8th … it plays a BIG role.

A used Metz AF 58 goes for 60 to 100 Euro (I own six … no idea how that happened) a used 64 fetches about 50 Euro more. Nissin makes great flashes, so does Sunpak (all Nikon flashes until 2019 (?) were made by Sunpak). You really can’t go wrong with either brand.

1 Like

Well done on recycling (pun intended) those old flashes, @beachbum. I’m a big fan of ‘waste not, want not!’ — personally, I seldom use the words ‘replace’ and ‘old’ in the same sentence.

When needs simply must, though, I can certainly attest to Godox being a sound choice — which reminds me; I really should try and use mine more often!

Oh man, I remember my older Nissin and Sunpak speedlites. Those were workhorses back in the day. I even had one of them get accidentally kicked from the 2nd floor and it came crashing down into tiny pieces! :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like